A problem with a shimano xt chain snapping.

loamy
loamy Posts: 154
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
A riding friend of mine has recently built up a commencal meta 55 with a shinamo xt ten speed chainset. We joined it using a parktools chaintool which has been used on many other chains without any fault. The joined link was slightly stiff when first connected but seemed to free up after a while.

The chain seemed to be faulty from the start as it snapped whilst riding out of the carpark. A link was then taken out and the chain was rejoined (assuming this was the result of a faulty link), the chain then snapped again not long after. This has been pretty uniform for all the following rides.

I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem or similar? does anyone have any advice of ways of solving this? thankyou in advance for all of your advice.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Where was it snapping?

In what gear combos?

And after shortening the chain you were lucky the rear mech was not ripped off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Give up and use Sram or KMC chains if possible. I only weigh 65kg and I've snapped every Shimano chain I've owned.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Are you re-connecting using the proper connecting pins? I fitted my XT chain recently and it wasn't stiff at all.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    You must use the special pins that ship with the chain. If you reuse a normal pin it will normally break fairly easily again. Like others I've given up on shimano and a mate broke another this week with only 300Km on it. We have all moved on to KMC without issues so far and use the quick links provided.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Make sure that the chain is the correct way round and joined as per the instructions
  • spankone
    spankone Posts: 76
    800 miles on mine and still going :D you can use kmc powerlinks on it if you fine that easier