chain/gear issues HELP

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi there, basically a few days ago i decided to de grease my chain as it had gone abit rusty/ gunky. did this just with hot soapy water , scourer and clothes to get in between the gear rings. got it looking like new! however, been out round hanchurch woods this morning and its terrible! the gear change is iffy and noisy as is the general pedalling. i can also feel every noticeable clunk/gruanch/grind through the pedals. it seems like the chain is catching everywhere. so , have i done something whilst cleaning it or have i caugt something whilst loading in/out of the car? was supposed to be going to cannock chase tomorrow for the first time but i cant go with it like this. cheers, chris

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    crispy1980 wrote:
    hi there, basically a few days ago i decided to de grease my chain as it had gone abit rusty/ gunky. did this just with hot soapy water , scourer and clothes to get in between the gear rings. got it looking like new! however, been out round hanchurch woods this morning and its terrible! the gear change is iffy and noisy as is the general pedalling. i can also feel every noticeable clunk/gruanch/grind through the pedals. it seems like the chain is catching everywhere. so , have i done something whilst cleaning it or have i caugt something whilst loading in/out of the car? was supposed to be going to cannock chase tomorrow for the first time but i cant go with it like this. cheers, chris
    So what else did you do to the chain other than just cleaning it?

And how was it before you "cleaned" it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Did you oil the chain before riding?
    Did you put it the right way through the rear mech?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • crispy1980
    didnt remove the chain., cleaned it on the bike with hot soapy water. i think i have found the problem though, just dont know the cause. i have just had another look and the chain is sitting lop sided in the rear deralluer to the point it is rubbing againts the frame of it. not sure why though? thinking that the frame of it is bent or there is something amiss with the jockey wheel?
  • nicklouse
    Sounds like it maybe time for new stuff.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • crispy1980
    new what though?
  • crispy1980
    would general opinion be that it is the rear derraliuer at fault? if so a new replacement is cheap, but dont want to do this just to find its something else? i SEEM to be getting most noise at the front but could the fact that the chain is sitting wonky cause it to be pulling at an angle off the front chainrings ? is there anything on the front that could be causing me thisissue? everthing seems solid so cant see it really?
  • nicklouse
    No idea without seeing pics.

Might just be the chain.

Or it may just be poor set up.
  • crispy1980
    been looking at it again and not sure its the rear at all. nearly all noise is coming from the front. i think im best taking it to LBS as i dont really know what im looking at. trouble is dont wanna get shafted with them taking the mick. anyone used either brian rourke or swinnertons before? both local to me