Bike-Rich
Bike-Rich Posts: 275
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Need some help,

If you see the below pics:

$(KGrHqV,!h0E9R)(t4GKBPU8C1NB0g~~60_12.JPG
$%28KGrHqV,%21hkE8lHZEESJBPJsmb80lQ%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Both are stems from Cannondales 'Headshok' system.
What I badly need to know is if they are compatible? The top image is from an older stem and the below newer. If you notice the screw is different and no 'open circle'.

The stem I removed looked like the newer (bottom) picture and I have the 'lockout' knob on my bike.

ANY help appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Well they will fit. You may need to add or remove spacers. And they may or may not fit your bars.

Have you tried them?

And if yes what was the problem?

If no do so.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bike-Rich
    Thanks for reply,

No have not tried because this is an ongoing problem where I am looking for a replacement for a stem which is too big (like the one shown in the bottom pic). I have a chance to purchase the top one but need to find out if it will fit first really.

So you think cannondale may of changed the sizes slightly from the headshock revisions? I think the current headshok size is something like 1.527 so a normal 1.5 (which is commonly available) will not fit.

I have not really thought if the bars will fit. If they don't i think it will be easier finding a set which will, at least that will get over the stem problem.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, the steerers are an odd size, 1.5625 inch. I'm preety sure they have always been this size though.
  • Bike-Rich
    That's good to know, thanks supersonic!

I know this is hard to tell but looking at them 2 pics, what would you say the handlebar size is? 31.8?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hard to say - one looks 25.4, the other 31.8!
  • Bike-Rich
    Thanks for reply,

That would actually make sense,

What I think is that the older type cannondale stem (with the 1 screw and no 'circle hole') only came in standard size whilst the newer was oversize.