World cup/Championships - please explain

CourtHMP
CourtHMP Posts: 21
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Hi everyone.
I'm trying to expand my mountain biking horizons by developing an interest in MTB racing. There's the UCI Mountain Bike World Championship and the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup, but why? I realise there are some differences, but they both seem to be essentially the same kind of thing so (obviously I'm missing something) can someone explain the reason both exist as seperate competitions?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The world cup is the series, while the championships is the one off for the title of being the best in the world. World Cups are contested by teams who are sponsor based, while the championship is nationality based.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Same on the road and track as well. And nationally there's a national series and a national championship, and regionally for that matter.
  • CourtHMP
    Very helpful, thank you, but I'm still not completely clear on one thing. You say the World Cup being contested by teams, but the different disciplines still have individual winners. So, for example, in 2011, the World Cup Mens Downhill winner was Aaron Gwin, and the World Championship Mens Downhill winner was Danny Hart - and both competitions are under the control of the UCI. Are both men World Champions? And how do the two events themselves rank against each other? Is Danny Hart higher ranking than Aaron Gwin, or the other way around?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    CourtHMP wrote:
    Very helpful, thank you, but I'm still not completely clear on one thing. You say the World Cup being contested by teams, but the different disciplines still have individual winners. So, for example, in 2011, the World Cup Mens Downhill winner was Aaron Gwin, and the World Championship Mens Downhill winner was Danny Hart - and both competitions are under the control of the UCI. Are both men World Champions? And how do the two events themselves rank against each other? Is Danny Hart higher ranking than Aaron Gwin, or the other way around?

The world cup is a series. Over the season riders are fighting it out for points in qualification and in the races. At the end of the season the rider with the most points is the world cup winner. Riders are racing for their teams and sponsors.

The world champs riders represent their country, it's a one off event, the biggest of the year. Everyone is going for it at the max. The winner is the world champion.

To confuse matters season points are also awarded at the world champs, however there are more points available at this event than any other. IIRC the winner gets 300 points (instead of 200 for a regular world cup win plus potentially 50 for qualifying first)

At the end of the 2011 season Gwin finished 1st, Hart finished 2nd. Gwin is the World Cup Winner. Hart is the World Champion. Gwin dominated the season. Hart annihilated everyone at the world champs in Champery.

This season at the races Hart gets the honour of wearing the World Champion's Jersey.

Over the course of the season the leader of the world cup gets to wear their special leaders jersey too.

Confusing much? :lol:
  • CourtHMP
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Confusing much? :lol:

To be honest, yes.....but I'm working on it.

I've been trying to find out which channel(s) will be televising the World Cup rounds, but haven't had much luck. Does anyone know?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Red bull are broadcasting it online this year
  • CourtHMP
    Do you have a link?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    CourtHMP wrote:
    Do you have a link?

redbull.com?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Go to the top of the page where it says mountain biking and click then there is a bit about the championships and it will have a link
    2012 Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x (MTB)
    2011 Cannondale CAAD 10 (Road)
  • CourtHMP
    Cheers. Not a lot of information there - considering it starts in a few days. It doesn't even seem to appear on their TV listings; http://live.redbull.tv/?