Seized headset!

darrena8
darrena8 Posts: 74
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys basically my cannondale MTb has a seized headset!
Is it just a case of stripping it down and greasing the bearings or is it a need of a new 1?
I would be willing to try it myself as my mechanical Skills are slowly getting better!
Cheers

Darren

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes and no.

Strip it and see. We can not say as it all depends on what you find. It may just need anclean and a grease or it may be totally dead.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • darrena8
    Thanks for the reply I'll give it a bash
  • darrena8
    So after a while I found the time to strip down my headset and remove the bearings which are in a right mess! I cleaned and re greased them the best I could but once I put them back together it's no different! So it looks like a new headset!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Were they cartridge bearings or looseball/caged balls? If they are loose then it should be recoverable (although sometimes not if the races are too badly damaged), if cartridge then you should only need new bearings, not a whole new headset.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • darrena8
    Sorry for the late reply they are in cages! Is it easy to get replacements ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes......Halfords do them, or bin the horrid caged bearings and use loose balls, fill the ring and remove 2. Have you added too much preload, how tight is the bolt through the top cap? the best bearing in the world won't work if that is too tight!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.