Where to watch a stage of the 2012 TDF?

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited March 2012 in Pro race
Hi,

Looking for some general advice on where to go to watch a stage this year. Appreciate that many places will already be booked up, but would love to go and watch an 'epic' mountain stage. Any recommendations for general location, stage or more specific places to stay would be welcomed. I can be quite flexible.

Comments

• dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    It's been covered in a lot of other threads, try doing a search. The thing about a mountain stage is that the 'epic' comes with the quality TV coverage, the watching live reality is hours of hanging around with very limited information, followed by some very brief glimpses of the riders. If you're not a fair way up a decent climb the glimpse with be very very brief. Forget a flat stage, you see nothing but a mass of multicoloured blur bomb pass you. A climb near a population centre will be much more crowded and atmospheric than a more isolated one. Alpe d'Huez is the obvious example of a crowded climb, whereas somewhere like the Galibier is much sparser in terms of spectators.
    If you really want to go I recommend camping (forget hotels anywhere near the start or finish of a stage) and cycling. Roads close to traffic a long while ahead of the race, but the police are much more lenient about letting cyclists through. I'd say in general the Alps are more populated and visitor friendly (in terms of facilities for camping, shopping, eating) than the Pyrenees, You'll be on the mountain side a long time so take snacks, water and something to read.
    Good Luck.
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    Thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated. You're right, I should search for other threads on this. I think I have a number of options:-

- Stage in Liege, stay on in Belgium to do some sight seeing
    - North Coast of France - easy access via Eurostar
    - Alps / Pyrennes - altogether more tricky but maybe better atmosphere.
  • bartman100 wrote:
    Thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated. You're right, I should search for other threads on this. I think I have a number of options:-

- Stage in Liege, stay on in Belgium to do some sight seeing
    - North Coast of France - easy access via Eurostar
    - Alps / Pyrennes - altogether more tricky but maybe better atmosphere.

Defo the mountains, although the "Grand Depart" might be quite good as well. I'd have a look at this, not suggesting you travel with them, but might give you some ideas of what to see...

http://www.sportingtours.co.uk/
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    Personally, I am driving down on the Monday morning straight down to the Pyrenees. Have booked a chalet on a campsite close to the finish at Bagners (wed) and the stage on thurs. will be doing some riding in between. will skip the stage on friday and travel upto chartres where i have a hotel. night in the town followed by TT the next day...perfect...then travel home :(
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    If you are looking at watching in the Pyrenees (given the limited climbing this year the Pyrenean stages right at the end of the race should be great) then have a look at the below:

http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk/2011/11/watch-the-pros-tdf-2012/

We also have a voucher currently on Bikeradar Daily Deals which is valid for all our tours (including this one) so our prices are very good!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do a mountain stage but take your bike - riding those mountains is fantastic fun. The race coming by later is just an added bonus for me.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    cougie wrote:
    Do a mountain stage but take your bike - riding those mountains is fantastic fun. The race coming by later is just an added bonus for me.

+1