Ghost AMR 5700, make lighter or add to the fleet?

appy
appy Posts: 408
edited March 2012 in MTB general
I have a Ghost 2011 AMR 5700 which i love, its a great handling bike and is ample for my skill level on black runs. I've added a few extras to give it a slightly more downhill rather than uphill bias such as wider bars, shorter stem and, chunkier innertubes and tyres plus tougher wheels and in my opinion its one of the best bikes ive ridden.

However.... I'm starting to do more long distance stuff and would like to start doing some endurance events. I know my bike in its current set up isnt suited to this so i have a dilema. I have a budget of £1300 for a new bike or £1000 if i modify the Ghost

So ive been looking at getting the 2010 Cube Reaction GTC pro
http://www.certini.co.uk/Home-2011-BIKE ... p2490.html
It would be an ideal bike for racing and endurance stuff as ive had a go on one and thought it was great and i could of happily done all day on it.

The other option is to modify the Ghost but just how much lighter would £1000 make it? Without making it a one trick pony.

Comments

• bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    1st things 1st are you Appy of VVOC ? If so hi mate vectra sri140 :oops:

What about an http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/PBOOWHIPX9/ ... plete_bike I know it's a bit over the price you have.

Or http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/rockrider- ... 170475071/ it's a very nice bike for The price.

Or http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499
    There are loads of good HT's out there to pick from for the sort of cash you have to spend.

If you want to look and try my 456c your more than welcome as I'm in Stockport
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Bikes required = n+1. Where n = current number of bikes.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • appy
    Yep thats me :-)

Dont like the rockrider
    Dont like the boardman
    Dont like the whippet and i think teh cube is a far better bike than all those especially as its a bargain due to being last years model
    Cant have a 456 carbon as my neighbour has one and its done up the hilt!! have used it a few times and the standard one will feel rubbish compared to that and i dont want to spend the money on it that he has.
  • appy
    benpinnick wrote:
    Bikes required = n+1. Where n = current number of bikes.
    DOH!!! of course lol
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    I'd just get a set of lightweight wheels and tyres, plus some carbon or scandium stem,/post/bars.

Having a second set of parts let's you use the bike to do anything and should set you back under 600
  • n+1
    Just done the same. Have a rebuilt Felt for rougher stuff and downhill, but needed something for light trails, Coast-to-coast runs and XC.
    Ended up with a Cube hardtail (Race SL) and am very happy with it. Light, good spec and I got a few hundred quid off as I had two shops fighting over my custom.
    There is no way that I can be bothered to change kit over everytime I want to go riding. I estimate that I would have been changing the wheelset and cockpit once a week.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Id also look at Hargroves Cubes if you could fit a 16... The have higher spec 2011 models for the same money.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Spend the extra 300 and go for the 7500.. You'll get a full XT group set and comes in at a tidy 27lbs ( with pedals)

The geometry is amazing on this bike... It has a slacker head angle then most 120mm bikes of their ilk.. It just feels really bomb proof...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    carbon wheels......
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • appy
    Rushmore wrote:
    Spend the extra 300 and go for the 7500.. You'll get a full XT group set and comes in at a tidy 27lbs ( with pedals)

The geometry is amazing on this bike... It has a slacker head angle then most 120mm bikes of their ilk.. It just feels really bomb proof...
    appy wrote:
    I have a Ghost 2011 AMR 5700 which i love

Ive already got the AMR had it a few months now (only paid £1300 new) . Went to planet x and ordered a built up carbon 456 which should be here monday, cheers for th einput :wink: