Bike storage

Slow Loris
Slow Loris Posts: 128
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am soon moving from my flat into a terraced house, and am thinking of getting one of these to keep bikes in the front garden and save traipsing through the house:

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?pro_code=Acc1

I'd be fitting some heavy padlocks and a noisy alarm, just wondering if this would be suitable or secure enough. Anyone ever had such a thing?
2011 Genesis Latitude
2009 GT Transeo 3.0

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What does/will your insurance say?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Slow Loris
    nicklouse wrote:

I have no idea to be honest. Some of the boxes on the site say they are insrance approved, I'm hoping someone here might have experience of these storage boxes.
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Slow Loris wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

I have no idea to be honest. Some of the boxes on the site say they are insrance approved, I'm hoping someone here might have experience of these storage boxes.

Ask them perhaps?
  • Slow Loris
    Briggo wrote:
    Slow Loris wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Ask them perhaps?

I'll make an educated guess and say the insurance company will treat it like a locked outbuilding such as a garden shed. That's not my concern right now, I'm more interested in the practicalities of use.

Now, anyone ever used one and have any experience of / advice on security?
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    1 thief + 1 tin opener + 5 minutes = 0 bikes (for you)

I read an article where these really caught on in a street and there were a few of them. Thieves just cut them open and helped themselves. If you do go for one make sure you are still using ground anchors, etc.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Slow Loris
    oodboo wrote:
    1 thief + 1 tin opener + 5 minutes = 0 bikes (for you)

I read an article where these really caught on in a street and there were a few of them. Thieves just cut them open and helped themselves. If you do go for one make sure you are still using ground anchors, etc.

Thanks for advice, I'm thinking ground anchors and klaxons atm. Still not sure I'd feel confident leaving bikes in there while I was out of the house. Unless anyone has any positive experiences of these things.
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Depends on the bike, if I wasn't that arsed about it and it wasn't worth a lot then yeah if it was a beauty and cost a shit load, not a chance. Get in to one of them easily! And like you say if you ain't in to hear the alarm, nobody else is going to give a fuck about the alarm.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Wire it up to the mains :)
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    If a thief wants your bike bad enough, they'll take it.

I work on the principle that the harder I make it to get hold of, the fewer thieves will want to have a go.

If it's worth anything to you keep it inside.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Torres wrote:
    +1 - and when outside, never leaves your sight.

Outside, the best you can do is discourage the opportunist and make very sure it satisfies the insurance company. That doesn't mean it will be difficult to break into, just that the insurance will pay up when it gets nicked.

If the opportunist is discouraged, the problem I see is something looking like it contains valuable items means he'll be back with his mates and the proper equipment to give it a proper go.
  • Slow Loris
    deadkenny wrote:
    Torres wrote:
    +1 - and when outside, never leaves your sight.

Outside, the best you can do is discourage the opportunist and make very sure it satisfies the insurance company. That doesn't mean it will be difficult to break into, just that the insurance will pay up when it gets nicked.

If the opportunist is discouraged, the problem I see is something looking like it contains valuable items means he'll be back with his mates and the proper equipment to give it a proper go.

Yeah, this is what my paranoid mind keeps coming back to. If I get one of these metal bike closets I think I'll use it to keep the commuter and family bikes in, and keep the MTB in the bedroom still. Although the Mrs is getting a bit sick of it so it might be in the back garden shed (It's a terrace that also backs on to more terraces, so less likely to get someone rooting around there)
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • aguesty1
    aguesty1 Posts: 97
    I live in a 2 up 2 down stone terrace and manage to store 2 bikes under the stairs, I take the wheels off both bikes and hey presto there is room for other stuff such as beer fridge, Vac, ironing board 15kg sack dog food etc.

It's a bit of a pain taking the items except the fridge out in order to get the bikes out but it's safe unless someone breaks in the house!

I thought about storing outside but I don't want some scroat stealing my bikes!!