Cheapest ways to upgrade a new bike?

arussiansniper
arussiansniper Posts: 36
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
Alright guys.

You might of seen my other couple of posts and know i've just bought myself a new bike which i'm absolutely loving so far, although no serious riding has been done yet, just the couple of miles to and from work every day.

If you didn't see my other posts....i'm Jim, i'm new to the forum and i've recently starting taking more of an interest in Mountain Biking. I've been riding for about 10 years but i've reallyyyy got the bug over the last 6 months or so.

Basically, i'm not finding the seat too comfortable so that'll be the first thing to go although i have no idea what to get if anybody can recommend any?! Then over the next few months i'm also planning on getting new pedals (white Nukeproof flats), grips (Red Raceface Strafe Lock On's), a speedo (white Cateye Strada Wireless), a cage and bottle and some mudguards. Again if anybody can recommend some mudguards i'd appreciate it. My bike came with a quality hard rubber chainstay protector so i'm ok with that.

Just wondering if there are any other cheap/cheapish upgrades i can look at doing straight away to improve my ride? :)

Thanks

Jim
Cannondale SL1 2012

'As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster' - Henry Hill

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd keep on with the saddle, they often bed in.

NukeProof pedals are not worth it, exactly the same rebranded can be found for cheaper.

Tyres are always the best place to upgrade.
  • Ah ok I'll stick with it for a while. Thanks for the advice.

Really? I've read some great reviews on the Nukeproofs (and they'd look class with my white frame, ha!)

My bike came with Schwalbe Rapid Rob's, much better tyre than I've ever had before anyway do I should be ok with these for abit shouldn't I?

Jim
    Cannondale SL1 2012

'As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster' - Henry Hill
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Jim, SS isnt saying that they arent good pedals, they are, its just that several companies put their branding on the same pedal. I know on one did the 'thinny' pedal (same as the the nuke proof) for £40 while the NP was £80 though they are sold out now.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Oh right sound, I see what you mean. It's these ones that i'm looking at, they're only £30...

http://bit.ly/A5VUmx

Jim
    Cannondale SL1 2012

• supersonic
    Plastic pedals... well, they are light, but are not really proven as yet.

These would be my choice, proven performer, always reviewed highly:

http://www.highonbikes.com/wellgo-mg1-m ... edals.html
  • Slow Loris
    Slow Loris Posts: 128
    Hmm you seem to have picked the most overpriced examples for pedals and grips possible. You can't go wrong with MG1's as SuperSonic says, and they come in colours apparently. I have black though. I like black.

Look at Superstar for lock on grips, a third of the price of race face and just as good. Or if you still want to spend a lot get some ODI's.
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    And if you don't get on with the saddle, try a Charge Spoon for £20.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • if its of any help i bought a charge spoon a couple of weeks ago from the cycle surgery £14.99 with free postage i think there still doing them but im not very good with links.
  • Thanks guys, just bought the ODI Troy Lee Lock On's. I've had a look at the seat, looks quality in the 'Brushed Black' so that might be coming my way on pay day.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

Jim
    Cannondale SL1 2012

• Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I have some of the white nukeproof
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • What do you think? Do they feel solid? I really like the look of them...
    Cannondale SL1 2012

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Tom Howard wrote:
    Jim, SS isnt saying that they arent good pedals, they are, its just that several companies put their branding on the same pedal. I know on one did the 'thinny' pedal (same as the the nuke proof) for £40 while the NP was £80 though they are sold out now.

I got that One One deal. Didn't realise they were the same as the NP ones.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • These are also good pedals for the money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eXotic-Alloy- ... 2c6388374f
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Superstar, Exotic and Ready To Ride are the normal cheaper options for the Nano flats. I didn't like the plastic ones much at all personally.
    (On-Ones Thinnys weren't the same as Nukeproof, but were made by the same company.)

Charge Spoon saddle is always a good bet- reason being it's decent quality and a good shape to suit most people, but also they're cheap and they resell easily. I bought one for £17.50 and sold it used for £20 ;) Buuuut, I agree you should give the current one a bit longer.

Mudguards- depends what you want really. Downtube guards like the front crudcatcher aren't very effective, you really need to combine them with a second guard like a Bender Fender or a RRP guard. Much more effective on the front is the SKS Shockboard, or something similiar, but a lot of people don't like how they look and would rather fit something that doesn't work ;)

On the back... Crudcatcher used to be the best, then they screwed it up and TBH there's now nothing out there that's as good as their old design. Cycraguard is decent but not brilliant. Current Crudcatcher is very light and very pretty but doesn't, in my experience, work very well- the bracket doesn't hold it well enough without modifications. But ymmv.

Computer- I like Sigma. The little Cateye is lovely to look at but fiddly to use, more buttons is uglier but better. But really they're not all that useful IMO. Edinburgh Bicycle were selling a nice looking little wireless one for £15 this week...

Grips are just personal taste. Superstar ones are decent, and cheap. I like Renthal's kevlars and ODI Rogues but you might not.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I'd say upgrade your main contact points (try a Madison Flux as an alternative to a Charge Spoon saddle http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-11-44561) and then leave well alone and ride!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Cheers guys, i'll check out the things you've said. My ODI Troy Lee's have arrived today, can't fit them as my bike's at my LBS! See other posts to find out why! :-/

Thanks for the advice on Mudguards Northwind, I'll be having a look when I get home from work!

Cheers

Jim
    Cannondale SL1 2012

• jwmlee
    jwmlee Posts: 9
    Quick win: tyres and inner tubes.

Depends on the sort of riding you do and what you are looking for - grip vs low rolling resistance. Lighter tyres and inner tubes mean you loose spinning weight. I like Schwalbe Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph combo in summer and Dirty Dans for winter mud.

Another cheap (ish) upgrade is a high quality chain and cassette.

SKS mudguards are superb. Very light and effective. A lot of people look down their noses at mud guards but if you are riding regularly it is a definitely better to come home without mud caked all over you and your bike.

Not sure about the flats - I like spds but have read positive reviews of offerings from superstar.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A chain and cassette, unless replacing stuffed ones, will make an insignificant difference. Expensive chains are generally lighter, and that's all. I would rather use cheap ones.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Expensive light chains have less metal in them which means if you manage to jam one up, you're more likely to bend it. Sometimes expensive ones last longer in terms of wear but cheap ones are definately tougher.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    jwmlee wrote:
    A lot of people look down their noses at mud guards but if you are riding regularly it is a definitely better to come home without mud caked all over you and your bike.

Mudguards do not clean your bike, or stop your bike from getting covered in mud - you'll still have to clean it after a muddy ride. Each to his own and all that, and I appreciate the value of one that's going to keep mud and water out of your eyes (although I prefer some glasses), but not for me.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Slow Loris wrote:
    Hmm you seem to have picked the most overpriced examples for pedals and grips possible. You can't go wrong with MG1's as SuperSonic says, and they come in colours apparently. I have black though. I like black.

Of course you can, they're far smaller than the vast majority of pedals on the market nowadays. I've gone wrong myself by buying a set and finding the platform a bit on the small side. If the op wanted something in lots of colours, with a bigger platform like the original post, I'd say:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=127
  • What do you guys think of the DMR V8's? Seen a gorgeous set in 'Acid Red' that would look amazing on my White, Red and Black bike! I've read a couple of reviews and they seem to be a half decent pedal?!

I'm heading down my LBS tomorrow to see what Mudguards they've got in.

Jim
    Cannondale SL1 2012

• toasty
    They're pretty much the same as http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=563, but for more money, with an added grease port that I have to admit I did find quite handy.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I had a pair, they gave me quite a lot of grief. Lost the plastic bits on the outside, and the allen key slot on the grease ports wore smooth far too quickly. They seemed to lose pins and are also very heavy and overpriced. So I don't think too much of them!

I'm on Wellgo MG-1's now, I much prefer them, though others say they prefer the Superstar Nano's.

Although it's nice to have a nice colour (My Wellgo's are white, on a black 2011 Trail SL3 with a white Reba up front), they will end up getting wrecked so they'll only look nice for a bit.

Merlin are doing them at a good price, and they have some orange ones...

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Home/Prod ... _39162.htm
  • supersonic
    Toasty wrote:
    Slow Loris wrote:

Of course you can, they're far smaller than the vast majority of pedals on the market nowadays. I've gone wrong myself by buying a set and finding the platform a bit on the small side. If the op wanted something in lots of colours, with a bigger platform like the original post, I'd say:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=127

The listed dimensions of MG1 are larger than Nanos - and side by side they look a bit bigger to me too, though the Nanos are squarer. V8s though, they are definitely smaller.
  • Put playing cards on the bike so that they rattle against the spokes, making every think you have some new super turbo charged Pro2 style hubs, which is also handy for getting all those walkers out of your way on shared access trails.

Cost? A pack of cards and some masking tape. :)
  • I like that idea...cheap and effective!
    Cannondale SL1 2012

• toasty
    supersonic wrote:
    The listed dimensions of MG1 are larger than Nanos - and side by side they look a bit bigger to me too, though the Nanos are squarer. V8s though, they are definitely smaller.

Curious, the missus has MG1s on her Stumpy and they feel and look considerably smalller than my Nanos. It might just be the pin placement.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I always think the best upgrade for a bike is comfy saddle and comfy grips. I reckon them 2 plus shoes and gloves make more difference than any shiny lightweight stuff and makes you much faster.

Doesnt stop me buying shiny things though obviously :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • toasty
    supersonic wrote:

Just spotted this was in the FAQ:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40074&t=12795127#p17427776