Fox 36 Float FIT RLC

tombarton
tombarton Posts: 132
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm thinking about buying a 2011 Float 36 FIT RLC 160 fork to replace the Rockshox domain on my 2009 SX Trail and so thought I'd have a look at the manual on Fox's website first. http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/011/index.html

The thing is, when I looked at the 'intended use' section the RLC model is the only one that states 'AM/XC' instead of the usual 'FR/DH/AM' that the 36 is known for. Is this a typo or am I looking at the wrong fork? FWIW the 2012 version goes back to stating 'FR/DH/AM' usage.

Also does anybody have any opinions on this fork?

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    It'll be fine on an sx trail, it uses the same damper as the 32, rather than the RC2 damper of older forks, should be fine though, just lacks the high-speed compression adjustment.
  • tombarton
    Thanks for the reply. Ok I will be using this for FR/DH with only the odd XC ride so need a fork that will stand up to a bit of abuse.
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Did a double take when I saw your name!

The float will stand up to** the abuse, its a strong,stiff chassis and as seems to fit your bill as light enough to allow for some trail riding as well as the DHing, don't get hung up on the AM designation - AM is a very broad definition of riding! Good fork.
  • tombarton
    Tom Barton wrote:
    Did a double take when I saw your name!

The float will stand up to** the abuse, its a strong,stiff chassis and as seems to fit your bill as light enough to allow for some trail riding as well as the DHing, don't get hung up on the AM designation - AM is a very broad definition of riding! Good fork.

:D Cracking name mate!

Good to know. Having the lockout cartridge I didn't know whether I was inadvertently looking at a beefy XC fork rather than freeride.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Chassis is exactly the same, the only difference is the damper, its more than strong enough for your needs
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are two Fox 36 platforms from 2011 - the 36 160, and the 36 180, which use different chassis. The 36 160 is a lighter version.

The 180 can be spaced down to 160.
  • Just ordered me some 2012 Fox 36 Float RC2 as I wanted the compression and rebound options, I'm been using Talas RC2, Float RC2 180's and Fox 36 RLC's for the last 4 years (not the 180's obviously) and the RLC's are my favourite, even more so than the 180mm RC2's... Great fork, faultless even...

I've used them in Wales, Cannock, Forest of Dean and Swinley and they are awesome.