Shimano Alivio MC10 rear/front derailleur or Shimano Acera

dddale241
dddale241 Posts: 4
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I'm new to this so forgive me if I make a few mistakes!!

I have recently rescued my old Marin Muirwoods 1994 21 speed from my parent garage, where it has languisehd for 9 years. I have had a good look and its got Shimano MC10 hubs and derailleurs through the dirvetrain, the chain is rusty, and the shifters are broken.

I have now regreased the hubs which run smooth, cleaned all the cassette and chainrings and oiled them and they seem to run fine.

I was about to purchase new shifters when a colleague at work said he had some going spare. As it turns out, he has given me a whole frame. Its a Gary Fisher Advance Silver Series, and has Shimano Acera rear and front derraileur. The rear derailleur has oversized pulleys (15 teeth i think).

Ramble done, my question is will the Acera derailleurs be better than the Alivio MC10 that are already in the Marin, and would it be worth swapping them out? Both systems work at the moment anyways, so essentially which will be better for the 54 mile charity ride i am doing from Liverpool to Chester and bacl (mainly road)?

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Dan

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Alivio is one step up the ladder. But little in them.

Use whatever is least worn.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Nick

Thanks for that!! And the quick reply!!

I didn't think there would be a lot in it, they look very similar outwardly, and appear to have very similar components inwardly. The Alivio one is more worn if i'm honest. And the Acera cosmetically looks better!!

One more quick question, the shifters i have been given are 8 speed, but my cassette is only 7. Do you know off hand if an 8 speed cassette will easily fit on the Alivio MC10 rear hub? If not i'll just adjust the shifter to ignore the 8th gear.

Thanks again!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    An 8 speed will not fit - this is a 7 speed freehub body.
  • ah right thanks for that. I'll have to invest in a new hub i think. For now though i'll just adjust the derailleur to ignore 8th.

Thanks again for all your help!!!