Cleaning dirty clothing

portland_bill
portland_bill Posts: 287
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
I made my 20 mile rural commute yesterday and on my return journey got caught in some pretty horrible weather. Since it had been such a nice day, I had my good bib shorts and my brand new jersey on both of which are now absolutely baked in crap from the spray from my back wheel (mud guards are to be purchased asap now!).

Is there anything I can do my to shorts and jersey to make sure all the crap comes out before I put them in the washing machine.

I'm just worried because I got a little bit of spray on my shorts a few weeks back and that stained and didn't come out in the wash and I'm now concerned that my nice new jersey that cost me £60 just 3 days ago is ruined. :(

Comments

• slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Vanish Oxy?
  • I've got some of that. Is it ok to use with seemingly delicate synthetics like bib shorts and jerseys?
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    Soak them in really hot water for about 30 minutes - an hour to remove most of the dirt. Then stick it in the washing machine with some persil.

Hope this helped. 8)
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • slowondefy2
    edited March 2012
    Personally I've never had a problem with Oxy and it'll probably work on the older stains as well. I would avoid hot water in general because it will set some stains into the material.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Worth a go with oxy as they're ruined if it doesn't come out anyway.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Thanks guys. I know I should have some kind of guards on my bike anyway but it seems odd that clothing specifically designed to be worn on road bikes seems to susceptible to staining. I accept that you get a lot of nasty crap lying on road surfaces, but I get up to the tits in my mountain bike gear and that never struggles to come clean.
  • slowondefy2
    Make sure you're using biological powder as well.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    A tip from an MTBer is to hose yourself and your kit down while you re washing the bike - Obviously this is easier in Summer or when you re in waterproofs. Secondly it probably won't make any difference the clothes if you use them "stained" so just keep on using them and repeated washed will work the stain out - This is one of the reasons why a lot of my kit is black
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    +1 for the hosing down method!

if they're really covered in cack, fill the bath with cold water, hand wash in there first, and a lot of the crud will be rinsed out

as above, avoid hot water, it can set stains into lycra

i've not found any one thing that's good for all cleaning...

vanish oxi stuff, tried the bars, the powder, no better than just washing on most stains

ecover stain remover is completely useless

washing up liquid works very well on some stains, you have to rinse umpteen times to get it all out

dr beckman stain slayer is good on heavy grease marks

blancotex 'grasa' stain remover is superb, even chain oil on white is cleaned off easily, but i've only found it in spain and portugal

fwiw i cold handwash all my stuff (which is non-assos) with assos cleaner, it works really well, it may appear pricey, but you only need a little, so a bottle gives a lot of washes
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    most cycle clothing manufactures state 'nonbio' powders, 'bio' and fabric 'softeners' can effect the wicking apparently. I just stick everything in on a 30 deg wash, non bio, no softeners.

Been doing this for years, mtb and road. But I'm not too bothered by stains, I'm usually going to get muddy in 5 minutes anyway.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    Make sure you're using biological powder as well.

Not if you want the best out of your expensive clothing!
    most cycle clothing manufactures state 'nonbio' powders, 'bio' and fabric 'softeners' can effect the wicking apparently. I just stick everything in on a 30 deg wash, non bio, no softeners.

This.

And some of the suggestions above to get rid of the worst gunk first.
  • slowondefy2
    I stand corrected. Still, it might be worth a go with biological if the clothing is otherwise ruined.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I handwash in warm water with Ariel Handwash liquid, then rinse in cold water then either gentle spin or drip dry. Only if things are really dirty do they go in the machine at 30 degrees.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    This is the answer:
    http://www.woolite.us/products.php

Available from Morrisons supermarket and some branches of Tesco - or online at Amazon.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I recommend rinsing all the crud off before it dries with cold water. I usually hand wash and rinse in cold water in the utility sink. Do this before it dries out. I then spray each mark with a bit of Vanish Pre-wash Stain Remover. Then machine wash immediately on 30* wash. Works a treat, gets everything out so far (apart from tar spots). I think the key is not to let it dry on as this makes it harder to remove.

Cheers

PP
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    A bit of dirt and the clothes are "ruined"? :roll:

An overreaction perhaps? You'd rather not have a fading stain left on a jersey or your shorts, but they're perfectly usable still.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Persil non-bio liquid on a 30C wash has been fine with my lycra, it's great stuff and has even got that filthy black road grime out.

Don't put lycra on a hot wash as some donut mentioned earlier, it won't do your lycra any good.
    Don't use biological washing powder / liquid, it'll f*ck your lycra.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Funnily enough, you can use a bike degreaser (typically for chains or disk brake rotors). Much stronger than anything they are going to put into a washing up liquid or washing powder/de-stainer. You can spend hours washing over and over with a de-stainer or washing up liquid, but a five second squirt with a chain degreaser and a rinse under the tap and it tends to just drop off the fabric. In fact, i have a bottle of BikeHut degreaser next to the sink as it gets oil off my hands much quicker than piddling about with a washing up liquid. Couldn't say if it works as well with mud stains, but certainly works with anything 'oily'.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    No hot water for anything with merino in either - you'll end up with an outfit that'll only fit a four year old.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Surely just rinse the lumps off & chuck in the wash as per any other sports gear; most of its very resilient & (with the exception of your waterproofs, which really don't like detergent residues) the chat about certain fabrics having their properties altered is as much to do with reinforcing the product's marketing pitch as it is with any tangible degradation of the wearer experience...
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    DesB3rd wrote:
    Surely just rinse the lumps off & chuck in the wash as per any other sports gear; most of its very resilient & (with the exception of your waterproofs, which really don't like detergent residues) the chat about certain fabrics having their properties altered is as much to do with reinforcing the product's marketing pitch as it is with any tangible degradation of the wearer experience...

so you treat 'sports' gear' differently to normal clothes? the sports gear then has different properties to normal clothes, thus making them 'sports gear'. these different properties being things like, stretchability, breathability, wicking, hard wearing, soft touch, water repellent etc.

So they have different properties to normal clothes and you wash them differently, otherwise you would wash them as per normal clothes.

I for one have mistakenly washed some of my cycling gear in normal wash, it took several 'bike' washes to get it back to normal again. It was not wicking away sweat, it felt 'dead' and saturated and kept hold of sweat for a long time before it evaporated.

if you have spent out good money on sports gear, you want to get the best value for that money. Following manufactures care guidelines goes a long way towards that. if you ruin your clothes by not following advice, it is unlikely you will win any warranty claim, but you may not then buy that companies clothes again. Who wins in this situation?

In other words, what do you gain by not following the washing advice?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    But surely (don't call me Shirley :) ) all you have to do is drop it on the bedroom floor and wait for it to reappear in the cycle kit drawer? :?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • dunkotm
    dunkotm Posts: 215
    ho ho ho
    Go hard or go home
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    But surely (don't call me Shirley :) ) all you have to do is drop it on the bedroom floor and wait for it to reappear in the cycle kit drawer? :?
    ^^This works at our house. :wink:
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Old thread I know, butworth re-emphasising that bio powder on Assos black shorts has made them go a greyish black. I learnt the hard way. They now get real black 'splodges' all over them where sweat has dropped onto the thighs whilst riding. This looks awful, but they still work....

PP