Best team *never* to have won the World Cup

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Going all DDD for a moment, what do we think?

The Dutch? The Mighty Magyars? Brazil '82? The French side of '86? Or, more obviously, the classic Wales side of '58.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The Dutch, by country mile.

A very flat mile and measured in km.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Has to be Sven's England.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    Paging Rick Chasey
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Take the Dutch side of 74 as read; they were good and had a big effect on me - I learnt the Cryuff Turn and was Top Banana up the local rec for a while.

I'll nominate England in 1990. Slow start but built & built and could - should - have won it. I could make the same argument for the 86 side that had the potential to win it if it hadn't been for the dirty cheating drug-taking cheating scum punching the ball past Shilton to give them the edge. Fookin dirty cheating scum. Did I mention that he's a cheat?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :lol:

Not convinced by The Dutch Argument. Rep, Haan, Cruyff and Neeskens were, I agree, a bit good, and when they hit the ball, the ball stayed hit. But I would choose Eder, Falcao, Socrates and Zico over those guys.

England '90 were good, but they should have been much more convincing with Waddle and Barnes, and not so reliant on Gazza. The Euro '96 side was better.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    CiB wrote:
    I'll nominate England in 1990. Slow start but built & built and could - should - have won it. I could make the same argument for the 86 side that had the potential to win it if it hadn't been for the dirty cheating drug-taking cheating scum punching the ball past Shilton to give them the edge. Fookin dirty cheating scum. Did I mention that he's a cheat?

If we're ignoring the thread title I like to nominate Ireland 1994. Who, had it not been for the exertions in the heat of Orlando in the group stage would have beaten Holland in the last 16 before beating Brazil, Sweden and Italy in the final.

I would also like to make mention of that cheating **** Henry who denied the Irish the World Cup which would have been the inevitable result of qualifying in 2010.

Poland here we come.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Brazil 82 or France 82 or 86. Particularly France 82 for me. Schumacher should've been sent off in the semi in 82. What a French side though - Platini, Tigana, Giresse etc
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Oranje '74.

[/end thread]
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Let's not forget that Hungary in 54 and Holland in 74 were cheated by those dope fiend krauts.