Go Pro HD - Any top tips?

andymc06
andymc06 Posts: 245
edited March 2012 in MTB general
I have just bought a Go Pro HD (not the new model) and will be testing it out at Gisburn next week and Coed-y-Brenin the weekend after.

Has anyone got any top tips re: settings and mounting to get the best results? I have got the vented helmet mount on it's way and I can borrow a chest mount.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Andy
If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011

Comments

• Try this guy on you tube, Eye Of Mine Action Cameras, it'll show you setting and how you can use it.
    2012 Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x (MTB)
    2011 Cannondale CAAD 10 (Road)
  • Put a tiny piece of rubber in between the camera and case, unless they have fixed the annoying rattle... Maybe even put some silica gel stuff (the stuff you get in shoe boxes) inside the case, to avoid condensation... Check you are filming not taking pictures (my mate is a cock so this may not apply to you) otherwise you have a great picture at the start of a ride and at the end of the ride but nothing in between.

Practice filming to make sure you have the angle dialed before you actually film.... video's of the sky means you miss out on 'You've Been Framed' £250 moments.... :0)
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    chest mount produces the best vids imo..... gives a better perspective of the terrain vs helmet mounting
  • chest mount produces the best vids imo..... gives a better perspective of the terrain vs helmet mounting

Totally agree...

Make up a universal mount that mounts to anything, sticks, tubes, arms etc... Point the camera forward, backward, down etc... experiment.... Buy a Mac, edit some awesome video's, post a link on here and show us some creative juices...
  • andymc06
    Thanks guys. I already own Macbook so I'll see what i can do. :)

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • andymc06 wrote:
    Thanks guys. I already own Macbook so I'll see what i can do. :)

Not that I've used a Macbook to edit video's as I haven't shot any since getting one but my mate uses the free iMovie and they outcome is pretty damn good. :0)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Imovie is pretty good, I use it and it does the job for an amateur gopro user :)
    I tried the chest mount, and while the angle was nice, I found it just moved about too much.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • spankone
    spankone Posts: 76
    I dont use a go pro but use the mounts. Im still learning myself, But heres a few of my suggestions

I found that with the chest mount the angle of view changes as your body postion moves so play around with up hill and down hill postions.

You could make a bottle mount braket and use one of the stickey feet on it to get cool low angles

Grillapods for attaching the camera to trees etc to get drive by shots

Seatpost mounted vids look cool

Most video editors can flip upside down video so feel free to rotate the camera to get the mounting right. Although i think some action cams can flip the video any way

Mix it up and make it interesting
    Helmet mounted vids are boring to watch,

Heres a few of my shonky vids

http://youtu.be/XdIKzpZZ2fU

http://youtu.be/wwsq0cqGtog
  • andymc06
    Good work spankone. I like the different shots in the first vid - definitely adds interest, mixing up the shots.

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • matisko
    matisko Posts: 22
    i find if you can get low enough , you can get some gnarly off-kerb drop ins.
  • spankone
    Thanks Andy, its only a 20second clip on a blue route at my local woods but it looks fare more interesting than cannocks red route which is only showing the one view
  • Completely agree with the chest mount and multiple shot comments.

A lot of people fail to realize that your favourite 20min section of singletrack or local DH run may be great to ride, but it's boring as f**k to watch from a single camera angle.

Also, (and I appreciate this is implied in a few previous posts too) make sure whatever mount you use, it's solid and the camera isn't going to vibrate and rattle about.

and remember. To avoid disappointment when watching the playback later: No matter how gnarly or fast that last section felt. The camera WILL show it to be much tamer than you remember.
  • andymc06
    Vented helmet mount arrived today. Set it up and did a few test vids walking up and down the garden. Playback shows not much more than the floor in front of me! I thought it was set dead ahead. Just goes to show I'll need to experiment ,check and re-check angles before using it in anger. :?

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • spankone
    It will be at a different angle again on the bike.
  • andymc06
    Indeed. I'll be testing it on my bike, kit on etc to make sure it's bang on before I hit the trails. I'll have to make sure I remember to enjoy the riding with all this filming going on!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • andymc06 wrote:
    I have just bought a Go Pro HD (not the new model) and will be testing it out at Gisburn next week and Coed-y-Brenin the weekend after.

Has anyone got any top tips re: settings and mounting to get the best results? I have got the vented helmet mount on it's way and I can borrow a chest mount.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Andy
    A few different angles on this vid ,I do use the chest mount alot it just looks good in my opinion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO4Kg-BWy44
  • andymc06
    Thanks for the tips guys. Much appreciated.

Giant Trance X3 2011