Fitting new brake pad problems!

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've been trying all afternoon to fit new pads to my avid elixir 3's. I bought Superstar pads after seeing some recommendations.

No matter how much I push on the pots in the rear caliper, they don't seem to retract fully, so that when I insert the new pads, they sit too close together for the disc to slide between them! I've pushed as much as I can, and WD40'd the pots a little to try and free them. I'm almost willing to grease the rotor just to get the bloody thing in there!! :?

The front pads have gone in, but they bind, I've tried the standard method of pumping the brake and re-tightening the caliper a few times but can't get it right.

I don't know what to do now, do I need to bleed them or something?

In the process of trying to push the back wheel on, it seems to have developed a little play. Once the QR is tightened up, I can rock the wheel from side to side slightly, and it makes a right clunk if I drop the rear end.

What have I done!!!??? :shock: :? :?: :roll: :|

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Too much fluid in the system. Release the bleed nipple a 1/4 and then push them home. Use something to catch the extra fluid and stop air getting in. Like a bleed syringe.

Please get some degreaser on the caliper and wash all the shit you have put on the seals off. Then clean with some cycle brake cleaner and then fit you new pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown