data tags ????

delcol
delcol Posts: 2,848
edited March 2012 in MTB general
I been looking at the various data tags that are available for bikes..

do you fellow shrelpers use them.. ?

if not do you guy/girlies think they worht it,.. ? i mean shoul the worst happen it gives you a greater chance of getting your bike back "right" ???

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No. If it gets recovered and they have the appropriate device for checking it and they actually bother to do so you have an increased chance of getting it back.

Better off hiding a GPS tracker in it I'd say.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Better off just being insured.

As njee says, to use the datatag the bike has to be recovered, identified as stolen and scanned.

A piece of paper with your name on it stuffed inside the seatpost does the same job.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    njee20 wrote:
    No. If it gets recovered and they have the appropriate device for checking it and they actually bother to do so you have an increased chance of getting it back.

Better off hiding a GPS tracker in it I'd say.

I don't know much about those, but my thoughts would be:

In it? Doesn't GPS need a clear view of the sky? And won't it be quite easy to spot and remove? Battery life? Signal jammer?

I'd stick with insurance. It's only a bike.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It was an off the cuff remark. If you put it inside your frame I'd wager it'd still work when outside. You can get them that can be activated remotely when it gets nicked.

Still gotta find it and get it back though, even if you know where it is.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Yeah it might do sometimes. GPS has a nasty habit of working quite well until you actually need it to though.

Remote activation is a good shout - although it'll need a phone signal to work I guess. And then you'll have a finite amount of time to find it. Which actually sounds quite exciting.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    UV pens as well, write your post code and 'If I'm not here, I've been tealeafed!'. If it gets picked up by the police it's likely they'll UV light it. However, the data tags and the UV pen only work if the police get their hands on it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The chances of it being checked or ending up in police hands is slim. Insurance to cover it and keep an eye on ebay from the instant it's nicked. High chance it will turn up there. Otherwise getting bike communities to keep an eye out for it is more likely to get it returned. Basically if you want it back, it's down to you to find it.

Still, if it doesn't cost much, worth doing it as a bonus. UV pen - would that get washed off by Muc Off and the like?
  • bluechair84
    edited March 2012
    I looked into it a while ago - must do it to my own as they are in a fort knox you couldn't break into with a Keira Knightly's chiseled hips attached to a pneumatic drill. The police recommend you do it to all your high end goods like TVs, I'm assuming because they UV stuff that comes to them. Anyway, the pens I looked at did say they were pretty permanent, even to washing. you can get little UV lights to check how clear it looks and go over it should it fade. I think this might be more reliable than data tagging, plus you could do it to all the parts incase it's broken down and sold off.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I looked into it a while ago - must do it to my own as they are in a shed you could break into with a hard stare. The police recommend you do it to all your high end goods like TVs, I'm assuming because they UV stuff that comes to them. Anyway, the pens I looked at did say they were pretty permanent, even to washing. you can get little UV lights to check how clear it looks and go over it should it fade. I think this might be more reliable than data tagging, plus you could do it to all the parts incase it's broken down and sold off.

you mean "it's in a shed locked and anchored so no way of it ever ever getting nicked"

Just in case any tealeafs are reading this........
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Either way they can nick them, just depends on the effort they want to go to. I work on the principle of keep thing tatty and unattractive. My neighbour's shed has been done twice whereas mine just once because theirs looks nicer and has better locks. Funny as at the time I had the more expensive bike when their's got done.

The kit is too expensive now to keep in any shed.
  • bluechair84
    1mancity2 wrote:
    you mean "it's in a shed locked and anchored so no way of it ever ever getting nicked"

Just in case any tealeafs are reading this........

It's true, got to be very careful about people knowing what you've got and where you live - many on here put their bikes in their sigs and I'm sure would meet up and share lifts with people that got in touch from here. Even BR users could be at risk from scamming thieves.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    deadkenny wrote:
    The kit is too expensive now to keep in any shed.

Mine lives in the House now!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I had one of my old bikes tagged but when it was stolen it didnt mean anything at all and i may aswell have not bothered with it.

Tagging works if the bike is recovered but most of the time the bike is never seen again (like 3 of mine) rendering the tag inside it completely useless, the only saving grace was it didnt cost me anythin cos the police here were out one day doin it for free so i had it done, i certainly wouldnt pay for it.