Apollo headsets

hoojammyflip
hoojammyflip Posts: 40
edited March 2012 in The workshop
Hi, I have an Apollo CX10s bike (bear with me) to repair...its the wifes and she leaves it in town, so the cheapo Halfords frame helps evade potential thieves. I've been putting stealthy repairs onto it, and it rides pretty well, considering its initial cost of about GBP 100. However, the threaded headset is showing signs of being b#ggered. Anyone know whether these are JIS 1 inch or standard ISO 1 inch, please?

Comments

• Sheldon Brown has this on his site:

Interchangeability note:

These 5 sizes of forks
    and headsets
    all fit the same frames,
    since the head tube
    size is the same.
  • Thanks, its a bit of a grey area...I've seen a picture of a cracked headtube as a result of the incompatibility between JIS and ISO.

You can bang a 30.2 diameter ISO cup into a JIS 30.0 frame, and it may or may not crack the headtube. Obviously, the other way round, with a 30.0 cup in a frame with 30.2 diameter headtube will let the headset rattle and stretch the tubes.

The 27.0mm JIS forks wont let a 26.8 crown race mount them, as both of made of steel...at least this is my understanding, so the forks are not compatible.

Best to get the right headset...I think I will just get a vernier caliper, dismount the forks, and take some measurements.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You probably only have to replace the BB's anyway, the cups are usually fine, £4-6 will see it sorted!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 2 types of headsetcould be fitted

1" 1/8 threaded or 1" threaded

Measure the quill stem if it is 22.2 it is 1" threaded
    if it is 25.4mm its 1"1/8 threaded

both are a inexpensive
    WeFixAnyBike
    Mobile Bike Repairs
    http://www.wefixanybike.com