How big is your lunchbox?

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
I've read many posts about nutrition and what to take with you to eat on a ride.

As a diabetic I have to carry all sorts of medical kit and the correct amount/type of food. The amount of food is calculated based on intended journey length, hills, strong headwinds etc plus some just in case I get a p•ncture or mechanical fault or get lost!

So, on a ride that is going to exceed one hour I eat a normal meal half an hour before I set off, then one hour later I eat a snack, usually a cheese sandwich and an apple, then half an energy bar each 45 minutes after that, up to the 3 hour mark when I need to eat a meal of say pasta salad or rice and beans followed by a piece of fruit, if I am within half an hour of a meal and almost home I will eat a diabetic chocolate biscuit for fast energy until I get home and eat a higher protein and carb meal! I also carry spare energy bars and biscuits for emergencies. (I am 164cms tall and weigh 55kilos, so not a fat b•rstard)

Just wondering who carries the largest supply of food...
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Do you only want to hear from diabetics? I'm not, so I'm not sure if my lunchbox is of interest to you, but just for the hell of it....
    For rides of up to about 3 hours I'll eat a bowl of porridge or muesli or a couple of rolls with something in 'em 1 or 2 hours before I set off and not take anything to eat with me. For longer rides I usually bring an oaty snack or two with me.

Post ride I'll have a ham sandwich or something similar to get some carbs and protein into me, and my evening meal a couple of hours later.

When I was riding for 4 or 5 hours a day I would eat a box of chocolates in bed most nights and was still skinny but I wouldn't recommend that to you :-)
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    neilo23 wrote:
    I'm not sure if my lunchbox is of interest to you

Not something you hear every day.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Yep,just what i was thinking......The ladies in my first proper job always had a rip roaring lunch time chat about the sizes of lunch boxes......at the age of 16 well i was :oops: :oops:
    bagpuss
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Not just from diabetics, I was really trying to see who carries the most food, bit of a greed fest! Hoping for someone who takes roast duck in orange sauce in their drinks bottle! Or a gas BBQ in case of road kill (ginger cat anyone?) :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    team47b wrote:
    Hoping for someone who takes roast duck in orange sauce in their drinks bottle!

Awesome idea. I'll let you know how it goes!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    Under 30 miles I don't take anything. Above 30 (riding a max of around 60 miles at the moment) I'll take something like a banana, nutrigrain bar and a gel but up until recently I was carrying more as I tended to struggle and sometimes bonk after about 25 miles. I always get a good pre-ride breakfast / snack in though (usually 3 Weetabix).
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Titles like that could get you banned.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    You wouldn't want it on the end of your nose as a wart !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I tend to ride early mornings and late afternoons after work in the week. After work I take nothing as I've eaten throughout the day and only usually do around 30 - 40km. Weekend mornings I have a big breakfast (2 Weetabix, banana, coffee with lots of sugar) about an hour before departure. I tend to ride about 60km (not a lot for you guys, I know), but generally stop to have a cereal bar or something similar about half way. I'm probably eating too much; however, I've found if I eat much less I get a splitting headache during, or just after I ride. Since eating more - no headaches. I'm 184cm and 77kg, by the way.

And if I see that ginger cat again it's definitely toast.... :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    MattC59 wrote:
    You wouldn't want it on the end of your nose as a wart !

I was hoping for a Michelin starred response there :wink:
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    In answer to the question.

I've a bloody great sausage in mine. :shock:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Pross wrote:
    Under 30 miles I don't take anything. Above 30 (riding a max of around 60 miles at the moment) I'll take something like a banana, nutrigrain bar and a gel but up until recently I was carrying more as I tended to struggle and sometimes bonk after about 25 miles. I always get a good pre-ride breakfast / snack in though (usually 3 Weetabix).

I'd be similar to this, wouldn't normally take anything for a ride under 30 miles. 30-60 miles I'd take a banana and some sort of energy bar which is usually those Eat Naturally bars or Jordans and either a gel or buy a can of coke along the way.

Last week I went for a 30 mile ride with some good hills, about 5 miles from home I got so hungry it felt like my stomach was trying to eat itself. Luckily I did bring an emergency bar, wolfed it down and felt much better.