Lighting Olympic Flame

cornerblock
cornerblock Posts: 3,228
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
As the day gets closer to the beginning of the Olympics, who do you think should be given the honour of lighting the flame? Should it be somebody from the world of sport? A 'celebrity'? Or maybe it does not need to be anyone famous at all. Perhaps it might not be a person even. In that case, how should the flame be lit?

I loved it when Muhammad Ali did the honours in Atlanta in 1996, a great man and a great choice.

So who gets your vote?

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    edited March 2012
    I think the honour should go to Sir Steve Redgrave. To do what he did takes real dedication and commitment. I suspect his feats will never be repeated.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Clare Balding - she lights everyones fire.

Clare-Balding-006.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Redgrave.

No brainer.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I just hope it's not David bleedin Beckham.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    It will be Redgrave.
    I think I'd prefer Thompson.

Whatever, it has to be a British and had to be an Olympian (which rules out Beckham, but I suspect he'll play some role ... the world loves him).
    exercise.png
  • cornerblock
    I just hope it's not David bleedin Beckham.

+1 to that. Sir Steve Redgrave will probably be the No1 choice for most people, though it wouldn't be a surprise to me if they chose a non sports person. Might be used as an opportunity to show something or someone representing peace and unity amongst all. That rules out Abu Hamza!! He'd be a health & safety worry anyway, might drop it.

At the moment I cannot think of anyone more deserving than Sir Steve Redgrave, so he gets my vote too.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I agree with Sir Steve but what about Sir Roger Bannister?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Will probably be Sir Steve, but IMO that is a pretty boring option. Apart from Muhammed Ali in Atlanta then often the most memorable torch bearers aren't the best or most famous Olympian the host country has to offer. I liked the Barcelona archery one, that wasn't a famous archer that lit it think it might even have been a Paralympian. The Beijing one was pretty special too with the guy "running" in the sky. So i'd hope the focus is on thinking of a creative way of lighting it rather than just running into the stadium and up some stairs.

Although good call idea about Sir Roger Bannister
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Redgrave will be a no fuss option. No-one's going to say he shouldn't.

Anyone else will causes furore and 'outrage'.
  • cornerblock
    Redgrave will be a no fuss option. No-one's going to say he shouldn't.

Anyone else will causes furore and 'outrage'.

Especially if they're female and scantily clothed. :wink:
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    More likely this...

Rioters_Vs_Photoshop_TORCH.jpg
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Due to H&S more likely this

image450_250x250.jpg
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    they should light it with a cigarette, it could be passed over lighting one from the other .
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    It should be the Chancellor of The Exchequer as the load of unwanted crap will see over 11 billion pounds of our tax revenue up in flames by the time the last synchronised swimmer has bored everyone to death.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    The flame is being driven up the M6 in a massive convoy...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Can't we douse George Osbourne in petrol and light him instead?
  • RideOnTime
    Clare Balding - she lights everyones fire.

Clare-Balding-006.jpg

+1 :)
  • RideOnTime
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    It should be the Chancellor of The Exchequer as the load of unwanted crap will see over 11 billion pounds of our tax revenue up in flames by the time the last synchronised swimmer has bored everyone to death.

Harsh...
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    No brainer - Sir Steve Redgrave

Also, the Paignton Peach would get the nod over Clare Balding any day.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”