Trouble choosing Tyres for Stans Crest

Bigpapapowell
Bigpapapowell Posts: 46
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Recently purchased Hope pro 2 evo with Stans Crest wheelset,
I didn't do my research and I've since discovered there is a issue on choosing the right tyres,

I spent 3-4 hours trying to get my Conti wired Rubber Queen 2.2s onto these rims, I managed to get the front tyre on but not yet sitting correctly on the rims, I've used the hot bath trick, washing up liquid and brute force!
The combination just don't fit!
Obviously the rims are designed to be tubeless but a little research before I handed over my money was that it was possible to run with tubes.
I only wished I did a little more research! I would have discovered that theres a fair few people out there that have had issues in getting tyres to fit correctly.

As I'm short on money (after forking out for the wheelset), paying more money for tubeless is not really possible!
I could possibly push myself to 50quid to get a new set of tyres, question is...

What Tyres do I purchase for my 26" Stans Crests with the intent of running tubes????

I love my rubber queens and have almost always worked for me but my wired set obviously aint doing the job! Would the folding variety be a better fit?!
I've also been advised on Bontrager XR4 which I'm considering...

Comments

• tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    This is going to be a hard question to answer as people with have their own preferences.

What sort of riding will you be doing and what are the trails like?
  • Good call,
    Riding around Welsh trails, Nant yr Arian, Coed y Brenin, Little XC, so fairly rocky, on my Spesh Epic comp 2003

Its more to find out other peoples experiences on what tyres they've managed to get onto crest rims without having a nervous breakdown!
  • bluehelmet
    bluehelmet Posts: 156
    When putting the tyre on are you pushing the bead of the tyre into the hollow in the middle where the spoke holes are or just leaving them on the 'shoulder' of the rim?

Worth checking as that few extra mm can make all the difference from being a pain in the arse to simple and easy.

Anyway, I run Kenda SB8's and Nevegals on mine (UST and normal versions) with no fitting problems.
  • tofu21
    If you are on a budget the Specialized Captain is a great tyre. I've got a Ground Control that I've riden a couple of times on the front and I'm starting to like that too.

I know that Specialized tyres aren't the coolest of brands but I've always liked them.

I've put Specialized tyres on Crest rims without any trouble. Schwalbe tyres have been pretty good too.
  • or just leaving them on the 'shoulder' of the rim?

I can get a small amount of the bead onto the shoulder but as its so tight the rest wont go! I've tried pumping upto the maximum recommended psi of 45! still no luck,

I'd continue with the the front wheel but I cant even get both sides of the rear tyre on! This is with all the usual techniques.

I'm convinced that wired tyres just wont sit on the shoulders or even fit at all!
    I run Kenda SB8's and Nevegals on mine (UST and normal versions) with no fitting problems.

I take it your tubeless on both?
  • If you are on a budget the Specialized Captain is a great tyre

You talking these?

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=162418
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    As I'm short on money (after forking out for the wheelset), paying more money for tubeless is not really possible!
    I could possibly push myself to 50quid to get a new set of tyres, question is...

Tubeless costs are £5 for yellow tape, same for valves and £10 for fluid. Use your RQs. Done.
  • tofu21
    If you are on a budget the Specialized Captain is a great tyre

You talking these?

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=162418

They are the ones. They also do a 2.2 if you want a bit more rubber.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    if the tyres are wire bead, then it will be pretty much impossible, unless you have seriously huge and strong metal tyre levers that will make mince meat of the rims. crests are designed to be run tubeless, but they do so because of the rim strip and the fact the bead lip is seriously fecking tight! Just out of interest, what are you using as rim tape? I found even folding Nobby nics impossible to mount onto crests with the superstar strip that came with them, a few wraps with some stan's like tape and they were so much easier!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    tofu21 wrote:
    If you are on a budget the Specialized Captain is a great tyre. I've got a Ground Control that I've riden a couple of times on the front and I'm starting to like that too.

I know that Specialized tyres aren't the coolest of brands but I've always liked them.

I've put Specialized tyres on Crest rims without any trouble. Schwalbe tyres have been pretty good too.

..just stay away from Specialized Resolutions (unless you like losing skin on a regular basis)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I find Specialized 2 bliss tyres and Maxis normal folding bead tyres fit fine with my crest rims with no problems. Don't even need to use tyre levers. And will work fine tubeless if you decide to change at a later date.

Anything with a UST bead will be a total headache to get on.
  • Well,

Tis done, Ordered Bontragers XR4 against any advice posted here! (that doesn't mean it wasn't appreciated! :wink: )

A good all round tire that will cope with the sort of loose rocky stuff I ride, Its also been recommended by a couple of people I've spoken to locally one of which has converted his to tubeless!

Which after watching a few youtube videos last night I'm convinced isn't as hard as I first predicted!
    njee20-Tubeless costs are £5 for yellow tape, same for valves and £10 for fluid. Use your RQs. Done.

I know you've been keen on me going tubeless, The RQ's with their wire bead where never gonna sit right on my crest rims, but I'll be happy to go tubeless with the XR4's next payday.

I will update with progress, good or bad!

Much obliged to you all on your kind input! :D