What's that noise...?

neil_sheehan2000
neil_sheehan2000 Posts: 529
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Just had an inner tube blow up in my face. Looks like the rubber around the bead has perished a bit, but the bead's still intact. Heard a weird creaking sound and noticed that the tyre had unseated itself and the tube was escaping. Then kablammo!

My ears are still ringing. That was horrible. Should that have happened?

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    thats why you keep your eye on the tyre when you pump it up,,

at least it was not a road tyre with 120psi in they go with a mighty bang ....
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    I had that happen to me a few years ago with an old pub hack. The pump had no guage, so I was checking pressure by squeezing the tire for firmness. Finished it up and had disconnected the pump when I heard the creaking sound and saw the tire unseat itself. Just got my hands away in time before it burst, but it still made my ears ring. Still can't work out for the life of me how I managed to do it.

I wonder if anyone has managed to do it with a slime tube. Now that I would like to see.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I've done it when trying to get a ghetto tube less system to work. I had my back turned when it went BOOM! Turned round to find a fine mist of Stans sealant in the air. The next day everything in the garage had slight rubbery tactile feel to it :lol:
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Sometimes it just happens. On my BMX I run 100psi - with that amount of pressure a tyre can inflate and look properly seated but when you start putting forces on it - it gives. only happened once to me though.
  • I wonder if anyone has managed to do it with a slime tube. Now that I would like to see.

some pleb borrowed a pump from as at work it was incredible the mess all over the desks half way down the shop and over the ceiling, the bloke was the best though, shocked with gunge all over him :mrgreen:

he hadn't noticed a tear in the tyres side wall so it bulged out then BOOM!!!
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!