best protection/armour for ribs

ditch the apollo
ditch the apollo Posts: 29
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Can anyone recommend the best rib protecting armour or pads?
Have a tendency to break mine, and intend to go riding and snowboarding in the alps.

Thanks

Comments

• El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    Depends on how bulky you want to go, really. If you're not after shoulder and elbow protection, maybe something like the 661 Core Saver would be up your alley. If you don't want MX-style chunkiness and are after someting a bit more low profile, I can recommend the 661 Sub Gear shirt. I bought one last year after a nasty off that left me with a couple of cracked ribs. It's a compression fit, a bit like Rugby pads, and very comfy when you're on the move.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    661 armour is ok. Go for the best you can afford as some of the cheap stuff moves around too much and is not breathable. 661 armour doesn't last very well though, mine is 18 months old and pretty much finished but has saved me from a few broken bones.
    661 Cub Gear is a waste of time.
    If you can afford it Dainese armour is much better.
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    661 Cub Gear is a waste of time.

How so?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ribs are hard to protect, since you need the full movement (otherwise you die!) but also because it's not so much the thing you hit that does the damage, as your momentum. So pads can reduce that force a little by lengthening the stop time but it's not like stopping a sharp rock from jagging you.

Subgear is pretty minimal- it can't hurt and it'll reduce forces a little but I wouldn't put much faith in it personally. But then you can wear it at times you'd never wear a core protector or similiar.

Broken ribs suck but I'm not sure there's a simple fix. Other than crashing less!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I did my ribs a while back and looked about but after looking I have to agree with Northwind.

I couldn't find anything available that would have made a real difference in my case, it's not like a joint where you can limit the impact damage, my rib injury wasn't caused by the soft grass I fell on but rather the 13 stone of idiot that hit the grass.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Hi,

Thanks for the replies. As people say, ribs are hard to protect. The last time I did mine, it was my elbow digging in to them. I will maybe try some of the items mentioned.

Thanks again! :D
  • SiPaton
    SiPaton Posts: 99
    661 Subgear is as useful as a choclate teapot for protecting your ribs as you can see here. There is a very slim/small amount of foam.
    subg.jpg

The 661 Core Saver would be much better, at the name states it covers the "Core" parts:
    CORE_SAVER_VEST.jpg

For maximum protection rock one of these when I go to the Alps, Whistler or Fort William. Not as big, heavy and hot as you may think. Unlike full jackets, as you can see there is plenty of open sections under your arms etc.. saving weight and keeping you cool. Plus it's all British made: Knox Warrior.
    1259247303375-19bwq5b6807kn-399-75.jpg

Hope that helps.

Si..