DH frames 2012

dicobraz
dicobraz Posts: 8
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I want to start building a solid dh bike, starting with the frame. Many brands out there, not so many for the top notch. New technology as well, carbon frames. Big price range as well. So, my question is: what is a reliable, good, up to date frame?

My thoughts, Trek Session (but so expensive), GT fury (but so expensive as well), Mondraker Sumum, Lapierre DH... those just things i've been looking at.

Price range, not sure, i think its a choice of frame rather than price at the beginning

Comments

• dicobraz
    dicobraz Posts: 8
    Thanks. Yeah I had a look on there, but not much to look at!

In addition to my previous post: forgot to state GT Fury, the carbon version. Also, forgot to mention Norco and Kona have a good affordable line this year.

I guess my post is more about how to choose between them. Most of the are pretty good, specs vary slightly i reckon and also if i am only planning to buy the frame the specs (of the actual bikes) don't matter. Frame geometry etc, don't know how to coordinate myself. Matter of preference, again they are all pretty good, i find myself falling in love with GT Fury, was looking around the net, cant really find carbon version for sale. So, another question if anyone knows what would be the difference of carbon and all frame? its stated that the geometry is exactly the same.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    anyone knows what would be the difference of carbon and all frame?

One is made of carbon, one is made of aluminium. Pretty obvious.

Test ride some bikes, no point in spunking a load of money on something that you may not get on with.

I wouldnt custom build one either ,it will cost you loads. Either buy summat 2nd hand or buy one of those Canyon/Rose/YT industries bikes since they are good VFM.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Nukeproof Scalp?
    http://www.nukeproof.com/frames/scalp-frame

Or something with plenty of adjustments - like this;

http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_TR450.cfm
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Kona Operator frame is a bit weak, so is the Session. I would go for the Giant Glory, bombproof & a great ride. Specialized Demo is also really nice.
    Try asking on the Southern Downhill forum, plenty of people there who know their onions.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Very few bad frames out there at this level, tbh. And it's quite hard to get test rides of DH kit unfortunately. What have you used before? It's not so much good/bad, as different...

Can't go too far wrong with a Glory or a Demo though. But then again you could get a whole bike for what their frames cost, I reckon.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • SiPaton
    SiPaton Posts: 99
    [img][deleted by mod due to malware from bikereviews . com. Please DO NOT embed images from this site] Nukeproof are doing two builds of the Scalp, the Comp and the Pro. The price for both is killer cheap! Your only problem will be getting one as they are selling pre-order like hotcakes. Do check them out, you will not be disappointed. Plus the money you save on another brands complete bike you ca use to get yourself a license and come and race the Halo BDS in 2012 :D Cheers. Si..[/img]
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    from what ive heard the gt fury in carbon is not available in the uk.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    jfry94 wrote:
    from what ive heard the gt fury in carbon is not available in the uk.

I have seen a few of them on the trails