Winter bikes?

spankone
spankone Posts: 76
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Who here runs a winter bike? I know its spring but I've just serviced the bearings on my storck adrenalin and thought for next winter, a winter bike would be a great idea. Although more regular servicing on my storck over winter may be a cheaper.

stupid,clever or just an excuse for another bike?

The idea is to buy all second hand gear to keep the cost down

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why bother. what is the difference between a muddy winter ride and a muddy summer ride'?

so you will be doubling your costs. Mmmm

but N+1 rule does apply.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As summer often lasts a total of two days, seems pointless.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I don't have a winter bike as such but I have a sh1t conditions bike that is cheap enough not to care about but at the same time sorted enough to ride pretty well.

p1020261x.jpg
    It used to be a GT Chucker
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I think the idea of a winter ROAD bike is well founded - so you can fit fatter tyres and mudguards primarily, but as everyone else has mentioned - off road riding can be muddy at any time of year, so where's the benefit? Unless you mean one of those giant Surly Pugsley etc. snow bikes?!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • I use both my bikes all year but one of them is geared while the other single speed.

Cleaning a single speed chain takes a fraction of the time it takes to get mud off geared properly.

So it makes sense to single speed more through the winter.
  • stanny_uk
    stanny_uk Posts: 147
    ive not long started this game and am out all the time (cannock) i've got a shiney 2012 TREK hardtail 6500 which is soon to become shit weather bike when i get my CANYON full susser!!! winter bike was my excuse in my own complex mind to have both lol!! :D:D
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    There is a logic to it, and I know a few Roadies that run a winter bike so that they don't trash their Dura-Ace with the grot that winter throws on the roads, but as Nicklouse points out, mountain bikes get covered with crud all year round so it won't make much difference. That said, if you do fancy a bike that sits somewhere between pub-hack and 'proper', then apply n+1 and go for it.
  • .blitz
    ive not long started this game and am out all the time (cannock) i've got a shiney 2012 TREK hardtail 6500 which is soon to become shoot weather bike when i get my CANYON full susser!!!

It makes sense esp if you are riding round Cannock a lot. Pointless taking a good bike out several times a week in Cannock's diarrhea mud it will soon become a tired old dog.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i ride a hardtail through winter and through the summer if the weather is wet.. i find it easier to maintain and clean than any of my full sussers..
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    spankone wrote:
    clever and an excuse for another bike. The idea is to buy all second hand gear to keep the cost down
    FTFY

Exactly this... and a good idea if you can keep it cheap. I just got a cheap GT Avalanche from eBay. The problem is sonic has now very nearly persuaded me that I should really put some Revelations on it - which would more than double the cost. It is very tempting!
    dscn5063.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • .blitz
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    I should really put some Revelations on it
    Fail - no component can cost more than £100 :)

I've got some Toras if you want them p1010270c.jpg
  • spankone
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    spankone wrote:
    clever and an excuse for another bike. The idea is to buy all second hand gear to keep the cost down
    FTFY

Exactly this... and a good idea if you can keep it cheap. I just got a cheap GT Avalanche from eBay. The problem is sonic has now very nearly persuaded me that I should really put some Revelations on it - which would more than double the cost. It is very tempting!
    dscn5063.jpg

now thats a deal
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    spankone wrote:
    Who here runs a winter bike? I know its spring but I've just serviced the bearings on my storck adrenalin and thought for next winter, a winter bike would be a great idea. Although more regular servicing on my storck over winter may be a cheaper.

stupid,clever or just an excuse for another bike?

The idea is to buy all second hand gear to keep the cost down
    if you have a storck just use n+1 you can afford it!
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • spankone
    I'm not an audi driving orange rider! :lol:

I'm a modest mondeo driver that has a liking for uncommon bikes. I'm still paying the credit card off on this one :lol:

314593_10150921302425526_796825525_21432032_1613982045_n.jpg

320564_10150921304990526_796825525_21432052_1569856987_n.jpg

423982_10151242256605526_796825525_22628125_1776310595_n.jpg
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I use my old hardtail giant as my commuter hack nowdays as it goes round the coast to work in all weathers and gets covered in sand , saltwater etc. I use my full suss all year round on trails and the road bike has just emerged from its hibernation.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I have a winter bike. It's the same as my summer bike, but muddier. ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    ^^^^^^^
    THIS
  • spankone
    What?
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    spankone wrote:
    What?

They use the same bike :roll:

As do i....
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    spankone wrote:
    I'm not an audi driving orange rider! :lol:

I'm a modest mondeo driver that has a liking for uncommon bikes. I'm still paying the credit card off on this one :lol:

this made me :lol: i used to sell audi and knew a few who had 5's as well

tbh im just jealous :mrgreen: my LBS has a storck but if my flexy friend gets used im for the divorce courts - i've been warned more than once on this....
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Interesting thread,this because this week I have been pondering whether to keep my old XTC hardtail as a winter bike.

If I keep it I can save some wear and tear on my Anthem,plus I can put flats and slicks on it to use as my commuting bike.

It`ll also benefit from the cast offs from the Anthem as it gets upgraded.

However having got the Anthem I`m now thinking about the upgrades the XTC would buy for the Anthem it if I sold it........

Not entirely convinced about keeping the winter bike to save money,because whilst you may prolong the life of components when you spread the riding over 2 bikes,even winter bikes need upgrades! :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • spankone
    my last bike was sold to fund this one regrettably. That was a rolhoff hub'd dmr switch back hard tail, Which would have been a perfect winter bike but oh well it had to go.
  • I spend enough on my current bike it just seems pointless to buy another one, I love my current one enough to ride it all year round, whatever the weather be! 8)
    Very funny Scotty, now beam me down my clothes.
  • jehosophat
    jehosophat Posts: 108
    No, you can never have too many bikes! I have a hardtail I use as a winter/road bike. I flogged my old Ti hardtail as it had no disc mounts and I was not doing it justice, and this winter built up a new Kona Kula Lisa 07 frame that was peanuts on CRC. It's a "women specific" frame that seems to have almost the exact same measurements as the normal one (ironically, my wife has a "men's" Kula!!) ... With Avid BB7's, and a pair of Pace RC39's and some old XTRM950 gear I already had kicking about, ideal for the job.

When the going gets at all quick I switch to short travel full suss... A nice simple Superlight that I can't really sell as it has a dent in the rear triangle does the job of "winter full suss bike" for anything other than the total quagmires or road rides the hardtail gets used for.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I've started using my single speed off road more recently. TBH I'm really enjoying the SS at the moment, I think it's going to be making regular appearances.

And it's a damn sight easier to clean than the Pitch.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • jehosophat wrote:
    No, you can never have too many bikes!

Amen to that. 8)