Zabel and Freire on MSR

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited March 2012 in Pro race
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Freire looks like he's in good shape, running Cav close today.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Zabel looks in pretty good shape too, either that or they speeded up the footage of him climbing!

As I said in the other thread, you can never rule out a rider who's seen it all before like Friere, but Cav is now coming into that stage of his career where he has plenty of experience of riding the big races, but still has that top end speed that you tend to have earlier in your career.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    I love the idea of Freire taking really detailed advice on the intricacies of M-SR from Zabel.

Judging from the Rabo comments in 2010 when Freire won, he barely pays attention for the first 260km.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    I love the idea of Freire taking really detailed advice on the intricacies of M-SR from Zabel.

Judging from the Rabo comments in 2010 when Freire won, he barely pays attention for the first 260km.

Was that the race that the Radioshack rider - its on the tip of my tongue...aarrggh - broke away and then the sprinters went past him with a couple of hundred metres to the line? He rolled in after with a teammate comforting him. I think its a tree-lined run in to the finish.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    MrTapir wrote:

Was that the race that the Radioshack rider - its on the tip of my tongue...aarrggh - broke away and then the sprinters went past him with a couple of hundred metres to the line? He rolled in after with a teammate comforting him. I think its a tree-lined run in to the finish.

Not sure. It was wet and miserable. Freire won ahead of Boonen.

Tankink gave some interview basically saying at 200km he figured he should see how Freire was doing - he found him near the back looking a bit lost. He asked how he was to which Freire said something like "yeah, my legs are a bit sore" at which point *cue exasperated Tankink face* he explained how it was tough edition and everyone was hurting. Freire says something like "ok then" and off they go into the top 20 riders an stay there till Freire pops out at the end to win the sprint.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    MrTapir wrote:

Not sure. It was wet and miserable. Freire won ahead of Boonen.

Tankink gave some interview basically saying at 200km he figured he should see how Freire was doing - he found him near the back looking a bit lost. He asked how he was to which Freire said something like "yeah, my legs are a bit sore" at which point *cue exasperated Tankink face* he explained how it was tough edition and everyone was hurting. Freire says something like "ok then" and off they go into the top 20 riders an stay there till Freire pops out at the end to win the sprint.

That sounds just like him from what Ive heard of other things, like his old car and his pump gaffer taped to his frame when he goes out riding. I dont think the race i saw was wet and miserable so it cant be that one. I've got a feeling the rider might have been Geoffroy Lequatre

Edit: it was Paris-Tours in 2010, which Freire also won. sad face (top picture)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Freire will be riding a custom paint job.

canyon+oscar.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NV6ZgR0NMbk/T ... +oscar.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest