Saddle Recommendations

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
As noted previously my saddle decided to give up the ghost last night.

Any recommendations for a budget replacement?

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    not sure if it counts in the budget but the specialized bg saddles are darn comfy.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Been looking at the Spesh BGs and Fizik Ariones, can't decide! Merline cycles are doing good prices on Fiziks this week.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I love my Selle Italia Gel Flow Flite. What is your budget?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I like my Fizik on the road bike. Brooks on the commuter
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Charge spoon.

Cheap, comfy, ok looking.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    prawny wrote:
    Charge spoon.

Yep - got them on all my bikes. Great bit of kit for not too much cash and I think they look pretty decent
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I had a Charge Spoon delivered yesterday, based on recommendations I'd heard on here. Only for the CX commuter so I went for the cromoly at £19.99 (in white!).

I have a Spesh Toupe on the Litespeed, love that saddle.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I have a spesh comp (143) on the CX which is reasonably comfortable, the saddle that died was a Ridgeback saddle 130 wide bought from fleabay, origins unknown but again very comfortable.

Might give the Charge spoon a try, but am waiting on a number of auction items spesh phenom amongst others.

Budget is king here, unfortunately max £20 or I go upwards of this and swap the saddles around.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    prawny wrote:
    Charge spoon.

+1
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've got the Spesh Alias 155 on both bikes. It's not as streamlined as other models, but it's very comfy.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    BigLee1 wrote:
    I just bought a spoon for £15 post free from http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... tAod1Dt_cA

Ta, just ordered one myself. Seemed rude not to.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited March 2012
    Veronese68 wrote:
    BigLee1 wrote:
    I just bought a spoon for £15 post free from http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... tAod1Dt_cA

Ta, just ordered one myself. Seemed rude not to.

So a £15 charge spoon weighs the same as a £100 Fizik or Spesh BG .. are those saddles justifiably more comfortable, especially on longer rides?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    Charge spoon.

+1
    I have their road version, the Charge Knife. Very happy with it. Bit more expensive at ~£50 though.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    not sure if it counts in the budget but the specialized bg saddles are darn comfy.

this, good size range and they're excellent.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    May I propose the Daddy Saddle?

Daddysaddle.jpg
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Another vote for the Spoon. In fact I've just ordered a third via that link (I have them on both the On-One and the Transition and will try one on the Wilier as I'm not convinced about the Selle Italia XR.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    however much i hate Planet X their rip off of an arione saddle is very good. got it on 2 of my 4 bikes. on the other two i have a fizik and a selle italia.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I had the Specialized Phenom SL, which would blow away if it wasn't fixed to the bike. But it was like an instrument of torture as far as my backside was concerned. Then I tried the Selle Italia Thoork Gelflow - again going down the lightweight and cutout route - and this was also like something carved out of scorpions by my nemesis.

Now I have a Fizik Arione Wingflex and it's comfy as hell. I was concerned about not having the cutout and getting numb nuts, but it really hasn't been a problem. I just think there's not enough of me to tolerate sitting solely on my sitbones.

That's all on my best bike. My 2nd bike has the saddle which came with my Giant Bowery and that is okay for the typical winter riding I do - up to 40 miles. The Giant Bowery has the Felt saddle (from my Z35) fitted and that's fit for purpose - i.e. short flat rides; it used to cut me in two on longer rides when fitted to the other bikes.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    prawny wrote:
    Charge spoon.

Wot he said - + Brooks on the tourer
  • diplomacy
    diplomacy Posts: 34
    i have a charge spoon on one bike and a fizik aliante on another. i've only ridden them on <100 mile rides, but find them both quite comfortable. the spoon is noticeably harder, but it feels like everything is in the right place, so you could see that as a benefit. given the cost i'd definitely recommend the spoon.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Another vote for the Spoon (especially in white).

But saddle comfort is completely subjective.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    +1 for the spoon.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I have a Spesh Toupe on the Litespeed, love that saddle.

+1 It's a fantastic saddle. I'd get one for the Volagi but it feels wrong putting a Specilized product on a Volagi after the court case. I probably will in the end - its so good.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH