Should I be suspicious?

simonp123
simonp123 Posts: 490
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Should I be suspicious about being offered a 2012 frame 25% cheaper than anyone else is offering it for? The place looks to be legitimate, and I can’t see any bad reviews or info around on forums etc, but I am naturally cautious. Maybe it is a sign of how difficult things are out there in retail land, I suppose CRC and Wiggle are continually chucking out offers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is it too good to be true?

most likely is.

but with out more info who knows.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Have you considered posting the company's name to see if we know it?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    benpinnick wrote:
    I'm suspicious that you just want to nick his deal.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • simonp123
    cooldad wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:
    Me too :lol: Ash Cycles, not going to say what the deal was though :twisted:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    simonp123 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:
    and they are based in? Indonsia? the UK?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • simonp123
    nicklouse wrote:
    simonp123 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:
    and they are based in? Indonsia? the UK?
    London http://www.ashcycles.com/site/
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are legit. Have an actual physical shop as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • simonp123
    cooldad wrote:
    They are legit. Have an actual physical shop as well.
    That was what I thought, but best to check. Just a great deal then :D
  • simonp123
    Well, ordered now so hopefully all OK.

2012 Giant Trance X Frameset £899! That is 25% less than the Giant shop and anywhere else I could find wanted for one. Some places were offering free kit, but not to that value and not stuff I needed really. Bargain!
    Made the decision about buying a bike and stripping it instead easier. The cheapest Trance bike was £1250, I think I'd have struggled to sell the bits for enough to factor in a Fox RP23 and get the same price.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    simonp123 wrote:

2012 Giant Trance X Frameset £899! That is 25% less than the Giant shop and anywhere else I could find wanted for one. Some places were offering free kit, but not to that value and not stuff I needed really. Bargain!
    Made the decision about buying a bike and stripping it instead easier. The cheapest Trance bike was £1250, I think I'd have struggled to sell the bits for enough to factor in a Fox RP23 and get the same price.

2011 rather than 2012, but nice choice. I've got a demo of a Trance X2 booked for next week and (if I like it) was toying with the idea of getting that frame so that I can add whatever bits I want. Doesn't work out as such a good deal if you don't already have a fair few bits though. Just buying a nice fork and a decent set of wheels new gets you into X2 territory already, even with the discount and you've still got transmission and brakes to worry about. Still, as you say, it should work out cheaper than buying a bike and stripping it given the high price of the rear shock.

What fork would you put with this? Giant seem to fit a 125mm Fox unit that you can't buy. So do you go with 120 or 130 and accept that the angles are a touch different?

Cheers,

Andy
  • simonp123
    andy_welch wrote:
    simonp123 wrote:

2011 rather than 2012, but nice choice. I've got a demo of a Trance X2 booked for next week and (if I like it) was toying with the idea of getting that frame so that I can add whatever bits I want. Doesn't work out as such a good deal if you don't already have a fair few bits though. Just buying a nice fork and a decent set of wheels new gets you into X2 territory already, even with the discount and you've still got transmission and brakes to worry about. Still, as you say, it should work out cheaper than buying a bike and stripping it given the high price of the rear shock.

What fork would you put with this? Giant seem to fit a 125mm Fox unit that you can't buy. So do you go with 120 or 130 and accept that the angles are a touch different?

Cheers,

Andy

No it is a 2012, 2011 frames all gone, so i got a deal ona current model.

I have a 120mm RockShox Reba Team Maxxle fork that I will put on it. Yes 5mm shorter than the Giant fitment but will just make the angle slightly steeper at the front, which will be fine. Giant did fit 120mm to some models anyway. I have all nice kit to transfer from my Stumpy so this route makes the best sense. If you don't then a full bike might make more sense, depends if you are specific about what kit you want really. My Stumpy weighs in in around 25lb in weight so I hope with the same kit the Trance won't be much different, should make a nice all rounder.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    Thanks,

I guess they don't update their web site that often then (still showing the 2011 frame as available in all sizes).

I'll be interested to hear how the bike works out for you.

Cheers,

Andy
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    Wow, nearly exactly what I wanted to do, have a 2009 trance x with a knackered rear shock, rp23 for it was coming in at over 400, I could buy new frame for only 400 more and build up, need a spacer for the steerer though

In the end decided just to spend 250 on a float shock
  • simonp123
    Wow, nearly exactly what I wanted to do, have a 2009 trance x with a knackered rear shock, rp23 for it was coming in at over 400, I could buy new frame for only 400 more and build up, need a spacer for the steerer though

In the end decided just to spend 250 on a float shock

Actually the frame comes with a reducer for a 1" 1/8 steerer anyway. Could your RP23 not be repaired then? I thought most parts could replaced in a service if needed.
  • simonp123
    Well, all is well, the frame got delivered this morning, so pretty chuffed.

Now I just have to get the ancilliaries I will need like new gear cables and rear brake hose.