Formula Freehub service

RJHazell
RJHazell Posts: 25
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a Voodoo Bantu (2011) and the chain keeps going slack, I'm trying to get the freehub apart to clean and relubricate it.

Looks like I need an 11mm allen key (or 7/16") to take the freehub body off (from the non-drive side), which I'll have when I get home today.

My only question was, has anyone done one of these before? Are they serviceable? I've got a feeling that it's threaded in to the hub body and I won't be able to get at the pawls inside, looks like you just buy a new one and screw it on.

Here's a link to the formula page http://www.formulahubs.com/en/formula/? ... ail&aid=45

Cheers
RJH

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    try a 7/16" allen key it will be cheaper. and they are not realy serviceable,just spray things at it and hope.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RJHazell
    RJHazell Posts: 25
    Hi,

Just got home, whipped the cassette out using an 11mm allen driver.

This freehub screws into the hub, and on inspection seems to have sheared where the thread (which screws into the hub) meets the body of the freehub. The threaded section is still retained within the freehub (don't know how) but you can spin it around. So the plan was to lube it and hope but now will be popping down the LBS tomorrow and hopefully be back up and running for Saturday morning.

RJH

P.S. I don't think that this is why the chain was going slack though...?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The rear mech keeps the chain tight, not the freehub, unless you mean no drive?

You remove the freehub using the allen key, not the cassette, that is held to the freehub by it's lockring.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.