Ribble Stealth with 105 - is this groupset good enough?

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
After much deliberation and personal mental torment I am about ready to press the buy button for a Ribble Stealth as I think the slightly more relaxed geometry and looks of the Ribble Stealth edge it for me over my other contended machine (Planet X RT-57 with SRAM Force) BUT I can only really stomach paying to have it built with a 105 groupset and Ultremo tyres which I plan to put on my lightish 1600gram Planet X AL30 wheels.

I am by no means a professional racer and am coming from a Sora/Tiagra equipped Allez which I still love and will demote to Winter/Turbo use. Will I regret not spending £300 more for SRAM force or Ultegra?

It's at this point of the build that I feel I have reached the point of diminishing returns over costs but bear in mind this will be my 'best bike' too.

Please tell me I'm correct to go with ful 105 and won't regret it!? :?
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• 105 is fine looking and functions really well. If you've the cash to upgrade and know that an "ordinary" groupset is going to bug you in years ahead then go for it.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    As above, if knowing you 'only' have 105 will get to you and you have the cash, do it. But dont expect to get much better performance. It will be very slightly lighter, it will funtion exactly the same when in gear, the only differance being marginally better shifts under power.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    You almost certainly will not tell the difference between this and the tiagra you're used to.

In fact, on a recent trip to the Alps and after a c*ck up with the bike shop reservation, the only bike I could hire was equipped with Sora. Believing myself to be a litle more discerning than this I was a bit disappointed. However three or four days later and after having ridden the Marmotte route and many other cols on this hire bike I can honestly say it was fine. Don't know what all the fuss is about. At the end of the day you press one button it goes up, you press another it goes down. They're all the same.

So, yes, 105 is plenty good enough.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    My commuting bike runs sora and it runs faultlessly. Can't see 105 giving any performance issues.
  • CRAIGO5000
    Cheers guys, that's inspired some confidence in 105 then.

My Allez has Sora shifters and a friend has a Tiagra Ribble and his levers feel so much more solid than the plastic feel of the Sora. Plus from Tiagra upwards, the gear change lever is in the more appropriate position. I feel that I can't reach to change gear when on the drops as the lever is only accessible from the hoods.

I think 105 is going to be a treat compared to what I'm used to and on the plus side of repairs/worn components, it's a lot cheaper to replace than Ultegra.

Thanks!
    Craig
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    why wouldn't it be good enough? You're putting it on a Ribble ffs ....
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    After much deliberation and personal mental torment

You're buying a bike?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I specced my bike nearly 4 years ago I went for 105 because I'd worked out that was the sweet spot in the Shimano range. Not regretted it for a moment. Used year round, it's still working as well as the day I picked it up. Only had to replace 2 chains and a gear cable.

Now you get all the cables under the bar tape it's even better!
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    Craigo500,

I had exactly the same dilemma as you; In a way desperate for the Ultegra label but not sure that I could justify the extra £300 to save 200g. I think you're right that you've reached the first stage of diminishing returns, I think it happens again around the £3K mark. I settled for 105 (5700) and haven't regretted it for a moment. My other bike has a Sora/Tiagra mix so I feel qualified to comment on the relative performance of the groupsets. Firstly 105 will shift slightly better under load and for many people's hands the second lever position is more natural. I find the rear change slightly more positive with 105 but the front change slightly less so (could be my individual set up though). I have the bluey/grey coloured 105 groupset which I think looks fantastic and a lot better than the plain silver of Sora. Also on the looks front it's almost worth getting 105 purely to have the cables under the bar tape, the cockpit area looks much tidier. Make sure you get good quality gear cables though, because routing the cables under the bar tape puts more curves in them and can affect the quality of the gearchange if poorly fitted. My only real word of caution would be don't expect a massive improvement over Sora/Tiagra with your 105. They are both good groupsets in their own right (and price point). Also I've ridden several bikes with Ultegra and again that's not a major step up from the 105 change. Overall for me, 105 was the right groupset in all areas - price, function and looks. Hope you enjoy your Ribble!

Regards, EarlyGo
  • Ultegra brake levers feel nicer and the gear shift action is lighter and doesn't "clunk" as much as my 105 levers. The 105 shifts gear just as quickly and quietly and the brakes are just as effective. Is it worth £300? Depends on how much you ride and can afford I guess.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    In my opinion 105 offers the best performance to cost value out of all the Shimano groupsets.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • CRAIGO5000
    Nice link and thanks again for all your input. That 105 link led me to SRAM too and then I found out that I could build the Stealth with a SRAM Rival groupset too which is lighter and apparently performs better than 105. It's also supposed to be more ergo in terms of shifting and I like the look of Rivals carbon shifters (to match the frame) which are also double tap with adjustable reach. 8)

In search of finding if 105 or Rival is the one for me, I'm heading over to Ribble on Saturday to hopefully try them both out and then do the deed.

Wish me luck! :D
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I love the way that link shortens on my monitor - 'How_to_choose..._Dura-Ace'. :lol:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Since that was written Tiagra's gone to 10 speed and it'll take a 30t cassette. 105 and above have concealed cables.
  • CRAIGO5000
    I went to Ribble yesterday to see the Stealth in the flesh and it's a fantastic looking machine, the pics online just don't do it justice with being a matt black carbon weave finish. I got chatting to a few other customers in there and it was getting all the glances and nice comments.

I asked loads of questions and after seeing all the groupsets, decided that full SRAM Rival should fit the bill. I think the shifters and smaller hoods are shaped more comfortably, it's all internally cabled like the newer 105 and it's a lighter set too with carbon making some of it up. The main plus for me is the double click shifting having never seen it in action before and also the fact that the brake levers don't move mean braking should be more progressive and give more 'feel'.

I was also convinced I should buy a compact crank and the sales guy talked me out of it saying I should really go with a standard double and adjust the rear cassette ratio for the steeper climbs.

On my Allez I struggled on my lowest gear of 39/26. I've got the option of choosing a cassette to give me a 39/28 lowest ratio so would those extra two teeth at the back make a world of difference? :?
  • As said above as long as it shifts up and down your fine, you could be in the same boat as me, My front mech doesnt spring back so I can only shift up into the big chain ring and to shift down I unclip my foot and boot it back to shift down :P
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    I was also convinced I should buy a compact crank and the sales guy talked me out of it saying I should really go with a standard double and adjust the rear cassette ratio for the steeper climbs. :?

Not very practical when your 25 miles from home and encounter a steep hill.

If you struggle currently with a double then why not get the compact?

Have you ever found yourself wanting a higher gear or do you often think you could do with a smaller gear??

If as I suspect it is the latter then that would move me to the compact.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • CRAIGO5000
    We did discuss this in the shop. I'm currently on a 16 speed double and the only time I've encountered an issue was on a 17% grade climb that rose to 22%. That was ridiculous though with my front wheel lifting with every push on the crank! :shock:

I don't have much experience with gears and ratios but he did say that if I went for a compact, I'd be limiting myself in the upper ranges and may well run out of gears. This advice fits my experience as on that climb I mentioned I would have felt more comfortable with 1 or 2 lower gears so we came to the conclusion that a cassette with a 28 tooth last cog would give me that benefit but also keep the higher gear ratios for faster descents and flat riding.

I have run out of gears on my double when descending which is equivalent to ~40mph. If I go with a compact, I'd be running out a lot earlier than that.

I was also told that if I've gotten used to a double that going to a compact is going to feel weird and I should stick with a double and adjust the cassette for desired gearing.

I'm going to speak to them again today about swapping to a SRAM Red crank as they are BB30 to match the frame.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I want to get my build right asap as It's a two week turnaround from the point of ordering and I've got a week off work in two weeks! :mrgreen:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    You won't be running out quicker with a compact.

If you do the sums, you need 1 sprocket smaller on the 50 to be equivalent to the 53 chain rings. TBH after 40 mph, it's more efficient to tuck in. e.g 53 x 12 is similar to 50 x 11

I have a 39 x 24 as my current lowest, and am looking to move compact for the steep stuff - I'm fine on anything just less than 20%, but my shoulder won't take the really steep stuff - Jenkins Chapel, Lamaload, Gorsey Brow, Macc Forrest, Winnats.
  • CRAIGO5000
    Thanks for this advice, I'll see if I can work something out - I've got time on my hands now as Ribble have left me with alot to think about. I've called them twice now with questions and each time has been the same guy who just doesn't give a toss. I met him in the shop on Sunday and he asked which size frame I wanted. I told him I had an Allez 54cm and he said the 52 and 54cm frames were out of stock. The decent guy off the youtube vids then appeared and told me that only the 54cm frames were out of stock and that because they measure their frames differently that I'm actually suited to their 50cm frame which is in stock - he was a pleasure to deal with and gave me some great advice. The phone guy today also told me I can only have the Red crank if I buy the frame, groupset and everything else separately and build it myself. :roll: Yet there is a thread on here with a guy who owns a stealth and had his built by them with a mix of Sram groupset including a red crank and they just charged him the difference?

Why is this so difficult? I'm spending the best part of £1500 and I want a stealth with Rival GS except I want to sub out the Rival crank and BB for a BB30 Sram Red crank.

I had an open mind but I'm now understanding why people say Ribble's customer service is poor. I think it's certain members of their team letting the side down.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    On the gearing, you've got to make your own informed opinion on compact vs standard. Read all the many threads on the subject and you'll have a balanced view. Don't be pressured by one salesperson opinion. There are pros and cons with each and it's you that's got to turn the cranks.
    As for service, it's a compromise unfortunately. You're accessing good products at low price and have to accept the compromised service. What you need to be is filthy rich like Richard Gere in pretty woman and flash your credit card in a high class establishment.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    As long as you keep 105 and ultegra in good condition I doubt there is much between them. I've got both and my ultegra feels just like my 105 did when it was new (ultegra is newer with fresh cables etc).
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    I was also told that if I've gotten used to a double that going to a compact is going to feel weird

That really is cobblers. You'll be used to it before you've finished your first proper ride! I switch between all sorts of bikes and don't find any of them 'weird'!

I tend to think that doubles are better on flatter landscapes where you want fine cadence control and compacts are better in the hills where you pretty much know that most of the time you'll be either climbing on small or descending on big.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Have you thought about holding out for another year and getting an electric groupset once the price comes down?
  • CRAIGO5000
    Not really. I can't see those being filtered down too promptly and at a reasonable price.

Just this morning I put my order in with Sram Force groupset and a few other subtle parts.

Ribble Stealth Carbon Road Frame 50cm C to top
    Ribble Stealth Carbon Road Forks 1 1/8"-1 1/2 ITS 45x45
    Ribble Stealth Headset 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" Hidden 45x45
    Sram Force 10 Spd Groupset
    Sram GXP Team Cups English
    Sram Force Brakes Road
    Sram 10 Spd PG 1070 Cassette 12-25
    Sram 10 Spd PC1050/1 Chain
    Sram Force 10 Spd Chainset 172.5 34/50
    Sram Force 10 Front Gear Braze-on
    Sram Force 10 Speed Rear Derailleur
    Sram Force Shift / Brake Levers 10 Speed with cables
    Rodi Pr Whls Airline Evo Clinchers Black 8/9/10 Shim
    Deda RHM 01 Bars Black 44cm
    Deda Zero 1 Stem Black 100mm
    CSN Superleggera K6 Saddle Black
    CSN Carbon S.E. Seatpillar 31.6 400mm
    Vittoria Rubino 3 Rigid Tyre Black/Black 700x23mm
    Yaw Butyl Inner Tube 700x18/25 SV42mm
    Deda Cork Ribbon Handlebar Tape Carbon Black
    No Pedals currently selected.

Now I play the waiting game..... :shock:
  • Hey mate. I am in the same boat now as you were months ago - I will go for the Stealth, just can't decide on the groupset.

How's your ride over the summer been (if you were brave enough to face the harsh summer conditions) and how do you like the Stealth and the Force groupset?