KONY 2012...

EKIMIKE
EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
That's right, it's the bandwagon you need to jump on.... Pronto! If you haven't heard yet, you're sooooo this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

It's actually a pretty good idea. An interesting experiment that will test the 'social network as collective power' theory that's desperately popular right now.

Basically Joseph Kony is the leader of the guerilla army the Lords Resistance Army(LRA) in Uganda. Infamous for recruiting (for want of a better word) child soldiers and gruesome brutality. Number 1 on the International Criminal Courts (ICC) wanted list. The idea is to get him arrested and transferred to The Hague by the end of 2012.

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    wow kid soldiers what a great idea - you'd have to like make new midget guns and midget uniforms, and instead of bullets they could use teenage temper tantrums. The third acne and pimples squad could attack from the left while the Sexually Frustrated Sniggering Teen Commandos could take the enemy from behind. And they'd save on belts....mmmm but what motto?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    This has been doing the rounds on Facebook.

423731_2688955386334_1329956810_32032479_1161907060_n.jpg
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Oh cheers then.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    i don't quite see how this works.. a load of people share it on FB..clogging up my newsfeed... and the UN/individual governments continue to do nothing?

but maybe my attitude will change if i actually watch the video?!?

i saw this posted as a response to one of my friends sharing the vid and it made me laugh:

430030_10150605147715687_690935686_9542243_954525850_n.jpg
  • tipped
    tipped Posts: 27
    ~~~~~~****** ~~~~~~~ **********
    IF U FWD DIS TO 8 PPL
    GUD LUCK WILL BE IN UR
    LYF. AND WE WILL TAKE
    DOWN A NASTY MAN.
    ~~~~~~~ <3 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Planet X SL Team 2011 (SRAM Red, Krysium Elite)
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Never mind that he has already been tried and found guilty of warcrimes and if the worlds governments and interpol can't find him, what use is reposting a (questionable) organisations video gonna do.

But when I made an appeal for people to stop posting this nonsense - created by filmmakers in 2003 and therefore, about 9 years irrelevant - I was hit with a wave of ARGH YOURE SUCH A CYNIC YOU JUST WANT ALL THE LITTLE KIDDIES TO BE SOLDIERS YOU SICK IDIOT AAA.
  • EKIMIKE
    I share the scepticism. I'm more interested to see if it'll fizzle out as quickly as it's exploded on FB. I don't buy all this social network = collective power stuff...

The video is not especially shocking or touching. There are plenty of equally (and more) 'hard hitting' docs out there that no-one really cares about. Just this film-maker has the right voice for social networking and the right kid to make people go 'awww cute'. I don't doubt the sincerity though.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    So we all basically SPAM each other and then the world becomes a better place, go ask the Syrian people in Homs if they want a facebook revolution or air strikes?
  • EKIMIKE
    For the benefit of balance: 'Kony 2012: Viral video for the misinformed?'

http://rt.com/news/koni-viral-video-campaign-133/