Which Grips?

Bike-Rich
Bike-Rich Posts: 275
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Hi all,

Is there a commonly accepted decent brand/type of bar grips for mtb/hybrid use?
Never swapped a pair before, is it best to secure with a clamp or are the majority just prised in?

Will I need to get the same grips as my bars or is it universal?

Many thanks,

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lock on type grips are the most popular nowadays, but are available in many varieties. A well glued set of normal grips (slide on) will not come undonme though in the vast majority of riding conditions.

These are my current favourites:

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/compon ... ack-p94936

For foam they are not that squidgy, but when you hit a bump they do give - comfort is great, they are light and a good price.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I've been very impressed with ODI Troy Lee grips but I wouldn't have bought them had I not got some vouchers for CRC as they struck me as very pricey
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    for my hybrid commuter I use the ergon grips which are extremely comfortable.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • I like nice chunky grips and so use Race Face Good n Evil.......have also used lock on grips too......guess it depends on what colours you are after and at what cost.

To fix standard slide on grips use hairspray - it allows you to slide the grip on easily, then once it dries fixes it in place but allows you to remove in the future if needed (with a bit of effort). I've never had a grip slip.

PS - as for universal.....from what I know it is a standard size and I've never seen other sizes.
    Modded 2010 Spesh Pitch Comp
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12839087
    Rockrider 8.1 - Now transformed to bmy commuting singlespeed!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I like the Lizard Skin Peaty lock-on grips - I have fitted them on the Orange and Kona. They are quite narrow but very grippy which works for me, but possibly not suitable for people with huge big hands!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I always find the ends of double sided lock ons hurt my hands.My Anthem came with single sided lock ons and they don`t seem to slip and are more comfortable.
    Very tempted to give those foam grips a go.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Look at Superstar lock-ons

You can change the actual grip cartridge when they wear out

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.ph ... ovd4v1aaq3
  • Bike-Rich
    Bike-Rich Posts: 275
    edited March 2012
    Brilliant suggestions guys, going to go through them all now.
    So just to confirm, Lockon is better then glue and is what I should be looking for?
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Lizardskin for me..id never use anything else now
  • Bike-Rich wrote:
    Brilliant suggestions guys, going to go through them all now.
    So just to confirm, Lockon is better then glue and is what I should be looking for?

Its personal preference down to brand and style choice mostly. In terms of whats "better" both are equally as good and both do not move etc if done properly....... however lock on is less hassle as they can be easily removed if needed.
    Modded 2010 Spesh Pitch Comp
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12839087
    Rockrider 8.1 - Now transformed to bmy commuting singlespeed!
  • euans2
    euans2 Posts: 43
    I use Specialized Enduro Locking Grip's as I have big hands and I feel the chunky design gives me a better grip of the bars

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/speciali ... 56234.html
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    superstar excel grips . they are better for my bigger hands
  • I use Superstar Lock on grips, they're fine and do the job, the only problem is that the rubber wears out quite quickly but as stated there's replacements available. The colour options are cool! 8)
    Very funny Scotty, now beam me down my clothes.
  • ODI Troy Lee Designs for me. Bought a pair a year ago and they hardly show any sign of wear/fading and are worth the extra money as a result.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Superstar. As they say, they're made in the same factory as most others out there, except ODI, and in my opinion they're as good as any ODI anyway and peanuts price by comparison.

Plus you get Haribos with your order.

Check them out for brake pads too.
  • I'm in love with the renthal kevlar grips. Super soft thin and light.
    Orange Alpine 160
    Boardman Team FS
    Honda Hornet
    Carrera Voritce
    Falcan Mountain Peak
    Raleigh Mustang
  • deadkenny wrote:
    Superstar. As they say, they're made in the same factory as most others out there, except ODI, and in my opinion they're as good as any ODI anyway and peanuts price by comparison.

Plus you get Haribos with your order.

Check them out for brake pads too.

Had Superstars lock ons myself, which wore smooth in a year. My ODIs show virtually no sign of wear over the same period of time. The ODIs have more grip after a year than the Superstars did as new. Each to his own.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    ESI silicone here, used lock ons for years (ODI and Lizard Skins) however I no longer see any benefits unless your running carbon bars.

They're half the weight, do a better job of damping vibration, don't slip and don't have annoying clamps.

The only negative I can think of is that they don't protect the ends of your bars and don't stand up as well as lock-ons in a crash.
  • 4ndyW
    4ndyW Posts: 68
    Thinking of either the Renthal's or Ritchey WCS for the summer, don't fancy soggy grips in the winter....The Renthals look pretty good though although i have not seen or felt any myself.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Halfords own brand lock ons, £10, lasted two years so far, still look new = brilliant.

I'd never have believed it though.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Had them, but found the rubber a bit hard. Last ages and still got them in the cupboard, but much prefer the feel of the Superstars and the bling you get for £10 out of them.