Ladies Base Layers ...recommends/deals??

velohutts
velohutts Posts: 288
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
The future Mrs VH is currently looking for some new base layer tops .....Amonst your travels or discussions with the ladies in your lives ...

Do you have any recommendations or seen any good deals knocking about on line ? This will be vetted by the future wife ( who does have a sense of humour I hasten to add )

They don't need to be cycling specific as fo some strange reason she prefers running ( work in progress for conversion to the noble art of cycling )

Thanks in advance VH
Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Any particular thickness? Field and trek (www.fieldandtrek.com) have ladies' Helly Hansen Warm 1/4 zip at a good price- polypropylene inner & merino outer).
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Depends on which time of year she needs them for I guess, but I wear dhb merino base layers (usually maybe £25ish off Wiggle). Keep their shape, wash well, keep you warm, don't even slightly pong even after three days wear. They're ace.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    something like this?

p243_summerInteractive_3.jpg
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Layers of girls in bases?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    My favourite base layer of all time is a Sweaty Betty one - at the time I nearly fainted at the price but it's incredibly soft and lovely next to the skin, wicks well, is long enough so you don't get a cold gap round your middle AND is very very flattering. The exact model I bought (with zip up neck) is no longer stocked as they've now got summer stock in, but I'd take her in to the shop or keep an eye out for sale bargains.
  • velohutts
    thanks for all the replies - have gone for old faithfuls of helly hansen - a website called sheactive had some at just over a tenner for standard colours ... just over 20 for a patterned one ...... good value

thanks again all.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,923
    something like this?

p243_summerInteractive_3.jpg

You're living dangerously posting pictures like that in the commuting section.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    rozzer32 wrote:
    I dunno. A thread that shows girls in base layers would allow OP to compare & contrast the various options. Perhaps the rest of us could offer opinions on the merits or otherwise of the base layers, provided it didn't go overboard and offend anyone. I'd suggest we name that thread something like 'Base layers modeled by females"; how about that? Surprised this sort of service isn't more prevalent on here.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,923
    CiB wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    I dunno. A thread that shows girls in base layers would allow OP to compare & contrast the various options. Perhaps the rest of us could offer opinions on the merits or otherwise of the base layers, provided it didn't go overboard and offend anyone. I'd suggest we name that thread something like 'Base layers modeled by females"; how about that? Surprised this sort of service isn't more prevalent on here.

Well if you ever need help buying Lycra shorts, knitwear or short skirts then please feel free to pop over to cake stop where we are already providing a high level of service on this.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Well if you ever need help buying Lycra shorts, knitwear or short skirts then please feel free to pop over to cake stop where we are already providing a high level of service on this.
    I know. I've got a garage full of lycra, knitwear and rainwear thanks to all of those recommendations. :wink:
  • velohutts
    further updates noted ....... I have no issues with the comparisons as suggested above in fact could be an ideal comparison site for future reference .... wife to be is also a netball player so we have viewed various netball clothing sites which is not to much of a chore and has various values and benefits !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Not a big HH fan - I tend to find that if anything's going to get whiffy, that's it.

I splashed out in a few sales on Icebreaker base layers. They are fabulously lovely next to the skin. And while I'm pretty sure this won't help many people, if there are any ladies in Falkirk who would like some, go to Leckie's on Melville St (along from Behind the Wall) who have the Icebreaker Olympia 260 half/zip tops for £25 instead of the RRP of nearer £80. They also had socks at £6 and beanies around the same.