Some advice for a beginner...??

harders10
harders10 Posts: 25
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

Pretty new to MTBing and bike maintenance, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good degreaser and lubricant. I've had a look in various shops and there seems to be endless brands and types i.e. dry and wet lube. Any particular favourites?

Also, how often should I be getting a proper service done on my bike? I've got a Cannondale SL4, so hydraulic disc brakes - How often do these need bleeding? Also have an RST Omega front fork (Not great I know and currently saving for an upgrade) but in the meantime how often should I get this serviced?
The bike gets used every day for my commute to work and probably two weekends a month on average on some trails.

I've looked round at prices charged for full services, especially suspension servicing, and it's pretty steep! So I'm keen to do as much of it myself as possible.

Any advice would be great!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A good alround degreaser is Fenwicks:

http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m8b10 ... aser/RS_GB

For general grease, a teflon fortified no lithium based such as Halfordds Bike grease, and for oil, the same.

The brakes should only be bled when they feel like they need to be ie spongey levers or obvious air in the system. The forks service intervals should be in the instructions.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Would recommend you get into the habit of fettling. As soon as something feels or sounds different on your bike, try and find out why. Bicycles are not like cars they can't survive on scheduled servicing.

Dry lube is waxy and needs very regular application (we're talking every two or three rides here, more often if it's wet) but it prevents the drivetrain getting coated in black cack. Wet lube is more resilient but can attract dirt. The chain lube is only there to stop dirt getting inbetween the rollers and pins there's no need to go overboard with it.

From a personal point of view I would use water and degreaser very sparingly. Water is not called the universal solvent for nothing it will find its way into your bike disperse any lubricant and lie there corroding stuff muhuwaha

Above all don't be a cockrotter!