What wheels for xc/trail riding?

leaflite
leaflite Posts: 1,651
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Im looking at getting a new wheelset for trail centre and some natural riding. This riding will not be too extreme-mostly red(and sometimes black) graded stuff with a few drop offs and rock gardens.

Target weight is 1500g/pair but anything up to 1600g is fine
Budget is up to £500 but the lower the better.

My favourite at the moment is:
http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=304&products_id=11922&osCsid=17dcf244da3408aa5deba7ba8f0fc5fd
as the rims are nice and wide and ive always fancied a set of ac hubs, but Ive also been considering:

Dt 240s on arch ex rims, sapim d light spokes (from actionsports, works out at £425-450 depending on exchange rate)

A superstar custom build with
Superfast QR Front Hub, Titanium Trizoid Superleggera QR Rear Hub, Stans Arch EX Disc, CX Ray Black SAPIM Spokes(works out at £400)

A just riding along custom build with arch ex or pacenti tl28 rims

Which of the above will be the best?
Is there anything else I should be considering for the money, bearing in mind that I dont want hope hubs?

Thanks

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    leaflite wrote:
    Im looking at getting a new wheelset for trail centre and some natural riding. This riding will not be too extreme-mostly red(and sometimes black) graded stuff with a few drop offs and rock gardens.

Target weight is 1500g/pair but anything up to 1600g is fine
    Budget is up to £500 but the lower the better.

My favourite at the moment is:
    http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=304&products_id=11922&osCsid=17dcf244da3408aa5deba7ba8f0fc5fd
    as the rims are nice and wide and ive always fancied a set of ac hubs, but Ive also been considering:

Dt 240s on arch ex rims, sapim d light spokes (from actionsports, works out at £425-450 depending on exchange rate)

A superstar custom build with
    Superfast QR Front Hub, Titanium Trizoid Superleggera QR Rear Hub, Stans Arch EX Disc, CX Ray Black SAPIM Spokes(works out at £400)

Which of the above will be the best?
    Is there anything else I should be considering for the money, bearing in mind that I dont want hope hubs?

Thanks
    I think those american classic ones are maybe even too much for your riding type. could go lighter for the strength you need esp. if you keep them well trued.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Personally those SUperstar would be very high up my list.
  • leaflite
    Thanks for all the replys
    supersonic wrote:
    Personally those SUperstar would be very high up my list.

So you would choose them over the american classics? What about the mtb26 non all mountain ones?

Thanks
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    American Classic have just revamped the range - it seems they have renamed some of the old ones, and intorduced a new lighter set and some new rims.

I tested the old 1450g 'MTB' set and was impressed - stiff, tough, light and well priced.

But the Superstar have been getting good reviews, and Arch EX rims seem to hit that sweetspot. Tough call.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    push the boat out and get 240's on arch ex's, either these or tune hubs will be my next wheelset for the HD. american classic have a bad rep for bearings, dunno if they've solved this, but they are quite bad from experience on their road hubs, heard the mtbs aren't much better.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A2Z hubs on Crests (or Arch EX) with Revolutions. Under budget (<£300) and under weight (c1400g depending on rim choice).
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    njee20 wrote:
    A2Z hubs on Crests (or Arch EX) with Revolutions. Under budget (<£300) and under weight (c1400g depending on rim choice).
    I've just built a pair of Crest 29ers on SS superfast and Switch Evo hubs, with DT Rev spokes. Came in at 1590g (dropped 600g off the wheels of my CX!) , the spokes were a lot lighter than I thought. A 26" build would be pretty light.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The Switch hubs weigh a chunk too, that's a very impressive weight. The A2Zs would save >100g from that.
  • leaflite
    njee20 wrote:

Sounds good! Where can I get a custom build on these from-just riding along, crc etc dont seem to stock them? Would I have to buy the hubs separately and get my LBS to build them up?

Thanks