Replacing BBs in hubs

portland_bill
portland_bill Posts: 287
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My wheels have Shimano HB M-525 hubs and the last time I went out on it, I noticed the front wheel didn't feel quite right but I was already out on it so I checked the hub lock nuts were tight and they were at least finger tight so I just carried on. It was just a leisurely ride up the coast for 15 miles or so anyway. Perhaps had the odd curb to deal with but I wasn't on the trails.

Anyway, I rode over some Mussel shell debris down near a pier and a piece obviously got through my tyre and I got a puncture so the wife was promptly called for her apparently overly-frequent rescue service.

Fixed the puncture and put everything back together, put the wheel on the bike and heard it rattling, so I took it back off and there was very obvious play in the front hub so I've undone the locking nuts and found the cones are a bit loose too. I took them off to see how things are inside the hub if it's been loose and although everything looks clean, there's a BB missing from the left hand side. I opened it up in a clean room and it's definitely not in here so it must have dropped out sometime, but just to eliminate the idea that the BB might never have been there, I tightened the hub back up as it should be and the wheel running is not smooth at all so something has definitely changed.

The question is, are the BBs easily obtainable without having to buy the entire hub? I've had a quick look online and all I can find is replacement hubs. I know I wouldn't have to change the entire hub unless there was a problem with the race which I'm sure there isn't, but still seems daft having to buy the whole hub just for one BB.

Cheers all!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Plenty on eBay.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you know how to adjust the hub properly, and lock the cone to the locknut with the right tools?

The size you require is 3/16.
  • :oops: Yeah I know how to adjust them and I've got my cone spanners, I'm just lazy with checking stuff before I use the bike. I know I know...

Ok, I've just ordered a set of 22 x 3/16 bearings. Cheers Bert! :wink:
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    if its rough when you adjusted it check the cones aren't pitted or your new bearings won't last long.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    When I were a lad this was part of the cleaning and adjusting routine - so I offer you the reassurance that it can be done (and frequently was) by an eleven-year-old with a couple of spanners
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Last I knew the HBM525s had 10 (525-S or 525-L) or 11 (525-A) ball bearings per side. It always looks like one is missing anyways. Check the Shimano Europe Tech Support pdfs for your exact Hub BB count.

Matthew
    canadian. mechanic. GS1 and ProTour '04 & '05. church of bikes since 1978.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    To the OP, you will quickly know if there too many bearing in the hubs when the OP puts one in as the wheel will not turn smoothly. There always looks like there should be a gap int eh bearings, that is normal. Also Shimano use grade 25 balls I hope you bought those as many loose balls that you by are someother lesser grade and will not last as long.

P.S Locknuts should be more than finger tight otherwise you would not need cone spanners. Also are the cones and hub surfaces smooth. If there is any pitting parts need replacing.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.