Respraying

tommy-leg
tommy-leg Posts: 48
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Has anyone ever got involved in this? Are colour codes easily obtained? and are sticker kits available? :)

Comments

• tommy-leg
    tommy-leg Posts: 48
    the frame i'm talking about
  • sticker kits can be obtained but it can be difficult sourcing exact matches and as far as paint codes use a car colour code as it can always be easily matched and sourced, or get it powder coated which is more durable
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends. Is this for the bike you haven't found yet?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dave1986
    dave1986 Posts: 61
    cooldad wrote:
    Depends. Is this for the bike you haven't found yet?

I was wondering what bikes can be powder coated, and where to send a bike to be powder coated? I assume that some types of bike finish are not easily stripped down and re-painted?

I'd be tempted with buying a tatty 2nd hand frame and having it professionally powder coated.

Cheers
    Dave
  • contact a local powder coater and ask about the restrictions they have then
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Steel, Ally frames can be powder coated, magnesium (fork lowers) can be wet painted (as can frames).

If the frame is anodised it dosn't need stripping before painting, if its paint/powder on it paint stripper or gasket cleaner will get it off, but be careful it stings like hell.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    contact a local powder coater and ask about the restrictions they have then

+ 1 have a look in the yellow pages for local power coaters and have a chat with them. one near me stripped the paint off the old bike and powder coated it for £40. which was about £100 cheaper than the bike specific coaters I spoke to. just make sure they know where to mask off eg the BB and head tube etc
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    jairaj wrote:
    contact a local powder coater and ask about the restrictions they have then

+ 1 have a look in the yellow pages for local power coaters and have a chat with them. one near me stripped the paint off the old bike and powder coated it for £40. which was about £100 cheaper than the bike specific coaters I spoke to. just make sure they know where to mask off eg the BB and head tube etc

And they treat the frame prior to coating,

Ally frames need an etch primer
    Steel would benefit from a coat of kephos (rust inhibitor)
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2