Fallen arches and SPD-sl

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I have fallen arches/flat feet and from time to time I have really uncomfortable pain while in my cycling shoes (Shimano shoes and SPD-sl cleats). I need more support around the arch (and my shoes actually provide decent support). Is there an insert or a particular type of shoe I can get to reduce the pain?

Of those of you with flat feet what are your solutions?

Thanks in advance.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Specialized BG Fit shoes have inserts that tilt the foot and support the arch
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I have 3/4 length orthotics which I swap between shoes, including my cycling shoes.

A decent podiatrist / chiropodist (does anyone know the difference?) will get them made for you.

Not cheap (can be up to £200) especially if you are using them for exercise but they are a great investment.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I have fallen arches/flat feet and from time to time I have really uncomfortable pain while in my cycling shoes (Shimano shoes and SPD-sl cleats). I need more support around the arch (and my shoes actually provide decent support). Is there an insert or a particular type of shoe I can get to reduce the pain?

Of those of you with flat feet what are your solutions?

Thanks in advance.

NHS orthotics - had the, since I was 16 same pair acutally - made em properly the first time. If they get sore - then go up on your toes as far as you can and walk around for a bit - stretches the muscles and makes an arch.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    OK thanks Asprilla and MonkeyMonster.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • MonkeyMonster
    Asprilla wrote:
    I have 3/4 length orthotics which I swap between shoes, including my cycling shoes..

absolute pita isn't it... that and the depression in the heel area too slowly affecting the overall angle.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    e-soles?

Or you could look at Lake or Bont who offer heat mouldable shoes.

Cycle-fit will do custom footbeds as well. Did me a pair in 2006 which I'm still using!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Are fallen arches something one is born with or something one develops over time?

Or both?

Genuinely interested.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asprilla wrote:
    I have 3/4 length orthotics which I swap between shoes, including my cycling shoes..

absolute pita isn't it... that and the depression in the heel area too slowly affecting the overall angle.

Fortunately I don't have to do it as I've built up several pairs over the years.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DonDaddyD
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Are fallen arches something one is born with or something one develops over time?

Or both?

Genuinely interested.
    My understanding is that babies feet can be flat at birth but an arch can develop.

Arches can fall over time. I'm not sure why, probably weight related. Woman who have had arches in their feet can become flat due to pregnancy (which is why I'm saying could be weight related).
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    Could this also be related to the pain I sometimes get at the back of my ankle?
    Food Chain number = 4

• MonkeyMonster
    Ben6899 wrote:

Or both?

Genuinely interested.

Normally born with afaik
  • Ben6899
    edited March 2012
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Or both?

Genuinely interested.
    My understanding is that babies feet can be flat at birth but an arch can develop.

Arches can fall over time. I'm not sure why, probably weight related. Woman who have had arches in their feet can become flat due to pregnancy (which is why I'm saying could be weight related).

Thanks for the insight. I can imagine the weight relationship - often overweight people tend to display excessive overpronation of the heel/ankle/foot as that is what a joint like the ankle 'wants' to do, given the situation it is in.

I wouldn't let it put you off cycling - as others have said, there are definite solutions out there. My brother wore inserts (not for flat feet, I forget exactly what) in his shoes (and football boots!) when he was younger and, well, let's just say it hasn't affected his aspirations football-wise.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Ben6899
    DonDaddyD wrote:

See my comment re: excessive overpronation. Have a look at a pair of your shoes or trainers - what does the heel wear look like? Is it even? On the outside of the heel? On the inside of the heel?
    Ben

• MonkeyMonster
    Ben6899 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Or both?

Genuinely interested.

Thanks for the insight. I can imagine the weight relationship - often overweight people tend to display excessive overpronation of the heel/ankle/foot as that is what a joint like the ankle 'wants' to do, given the situation it is in.

I wouldn't let it put you off cycling - as others have said, there are definite solutions out there. My brother wore inserts (not for flat feet, I forget exactly what) in his shoes (and football boots!) when he was younger and, well, let's just say it hasn't affected his aspirations football-wise.

pronation dude to weight etc I think is counted differently to flat feet - my brother is toe-d in and I was almost pure flat, other brother has occasional arch ache like you DDD. My flat feet changed my ankle angle, which caused my knees to shift alignment which then altered my hip angle and caused lots of pain.
  • DonDaddyD
    Ben6899 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

And
    MM wrote:
    ...on dude to weight etc I think is counted differently to flat feet - my brother is toe-d in and I was almost pure flat, other brother has occasional arch ache like you DDD. My flat feet changed my ankle angle, which caused my knees to shift alignment which then altered my hip angle and caused lots of pain.

See my comment re: excessive overpronation. Have a look at a pair of your shoes or trainers - what does the heel wear look like? Is it even? On the outside of the heel? On the inside of the heel?
    All my shoes heels wear on the inside heel more than the outside. Serverely so. I need to get this checked - about time I do.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    The specialized bg shoe are excellent. For pronation you can get shims like these, they are the yellow ones. They are angled, like a wedge but together can make a 3mm difference.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.