Best wheelset for cobbles?

sjd21
sjd21 Posts: 2
All.... I am off to Belgium at the end of this month to ride the Tour of Flanders sportive. Last year Santa Claus delivered a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SR's with carbon spokes.

I'm interested in any opinion on the appropriateness of this wheelset for cobbles? Keen to use them, but wary that I might trash them....

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I'm not sure I'd use them, although they're probably fine. I switch some old handbuilts from my commute bike for the cobbles.

Highly recommend the Vittoria Pave tyres.
    exercise.png
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    I ride in Belgium regularly and I have a set of ambrosio excellight rims on ambrosio hubs. On these wheels I can run a 23/25 tyre on the cobbles no problem and absolutely leather it over the long stretches. If you don't want to get new wheels you can always get a set of schwalbe ultremo 28's. The cobbles are not as bad as everyone makes out. It's all in the technique as you ride them.

AL
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'd use some high spoke count handbuilts. Such as Ambrosio mentioned above...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Cosmics are pretty much a standard alloy rim with a carbon fairing aren't they? In which case I imagine they'd be average comfort-wise. I doubt you'll snap any spokes unless you're really heavy but it's up to you and your wallet.

If I were buying a new wheelset for cobbles I'd look at one of the latest generation of wider rims, like the Hed C2 or similar. Also, run the biggest tyres your frame can take.