My little project

GT_Dave
GT_Dave Posts: 161
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Hi All,

I have got myself a 2005 Claud Butler Stone River as a little project mainly to learn a bit more about bikes, how they are put together and how they work.

I stripped every nut, bolt and cable, gave it all a nice clean and lube and then put it back together, the only new parts so far are a new integrated headset (Purchased and fitted by my LBS but he showed me how so I can do it in the future) and a pair of Brand new Rock Shock Judy front forks that I was given (Old school!!)

I want to upgrade to hydraulic disks in the near future and try and snap up a bargain front and rear mechs and a pair of disk ready wheels, a new stem and wider bars but im in no rush as this is just a spare bike.

The problem now is the frame looks rubbish! The whole idea of this was to have a play around and not spend much, not doing bad so far, £20 for the headset and £12 on new cables. How should i go about improving the look of the frame? there are no dents or cracks that I can see, just the chipped paint but I dont think I can afford a respray! What do you all suggest? What did you do and how much did it cost?

Cheers,

Dave

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    You could always strip the frame and polish it.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Take the frame to an auto factors, get touch in pens for the colours with most chips and touch them in, use a chainstay protector (either Neoprene or sticker) to cover the inevitable rash on the drive side chainstay.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I know what you mean about little projects growing and getting more complicated! I got a sad little bike off Ebay with the intention of doing it up for as little as possible - lets just say it's going to cost a wee bit more than I bargained for!

Anyway, I too had the problem with the frame looking bad so am getting it resprayed (by a friend who does this for a living - hooray!) - as you say, all the nice new bits made the frame look a bit jaded :roll:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc