cracking deals , but which one??

Bostin Chops
Bostin Chops Posts: 11
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSRETK/ro ... th_lockout

And then upgrade to moco damper.. or

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSRECGLDA ... th_poplock

I cant decide on which to upgrade to, i ride pretty aggressively drops and jumps and fast red routes, obviously the gold is better specd with moco but will it take as much abuse as the coilie with steel stanchions? I want to buy new and the price of the golds are at the top end of my budget so please no reba selling please.

Can anyone who rides these forks and ride fairly hard help me decide because there seems to be pros and cons to each and i cant make the decision on my own :roll:

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If you can afford the better one then get it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • the only thing stopping me is the aluminium stanchions, would these be noticably weaker? wold the performance be night and day between the two? Im not too bothered about saving weight i just want a good reliable fork on trails that can take a good few hits. Is there any massive pros of air vs coil or vice versa. would the coil fork be a big upgrade from my SR XCT? So many questions im sorry
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aluminium is better, if anything. Lighter, don't rust and have a nice smooth coating. I don't think they are motion control though, they are turnkey - On One are confused.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • can both forks be upgraded to motion control? and for the extra 70 quid do you think there will be a big difference in the ride quality. Thanks for taking the time to answer the post, appreciated
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I agree with Cooldad, I think both forks are Turnkey damping.

The advantage the more expensive one has is the air spring which can be adjusted to rider weight easier than the less expensive which has a coil spring.

I believe they can be both be upgraded at a later date to have motion control damping but this is usually more expensive way to do it.

Just save a bit longer and go for this one:
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSRERL/rockshox_reba_rl_dual_air_100mm_fork__26_inch
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    cooldad wrote:
    Aluminium is better, if anything. Lighter, don't rust and have a nice smooth coating. I don't think they are motion control though, they are turnkey - On One are confused.

Yep, not motion control. You'd be looking for the 'RL' not TK if you wanted that
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What bike are these for? What do you weigh?
  • Theyre for a hardrock disc 2012, the xct i have on has zero travel and is crap to be.

I weigh roughly 11 stone.

If im honest its no good me saving for the reba as im rubbish at saving, the only reason im upgrading is because of a nice cheque from the tax man, so i figured id change the one thing im unhappy with on my bike.

So without motion control i suppose its down to the coil vs air debate?
  • supersonic
    Air is so good nowadays that they have caught up with the fluidity of some coil forks, service intervals are large, are more adjustable and lighter.
  • Do you think the performance difference is worth the £70 price difference? I suppose im being fussy as both forks are probably a world apart fom my xct
  • supersonic
    You save a fair bit of weight, and can upgrade at a later date with the Gold.
  • decision made then, thanks for the advice