How many of us pedal through the upstroke

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Simple as that, really. I've been half-heartedly trying to adopt the practice of consistently pedalling through the upstroke, so not just on short sharp bursts or climbs. Find it quite difficult to maintain though.

So how many do it?

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    when i remember and sit in a certain golden power spot on my saddle that is further forward than normal - then it suddenly all fits together and i can easily throw out 3-5 more mph
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,360
    Of course it's harder to maintain, you are using additional muscles to transfer more energy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Can't tell. I unweight my trailing leg. On flats that means my foot briefly lifts off the pedals.

When I'm on my single speed honking it uphill, it's hard not to pull up.
  • On the flat and downhills then yes, I do. Stops the legs from getting too tired. On the uphills, then no, I like to stomp on the pedals.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    <pedant mode> I've personally never tried to sell anything while cycling </pedant mode>

;)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Are you talking about keeping the power even through 360 degree? If so I do this all learnt in spin classes (RPM classes to be exact). My memory maps says heals down, knees in and scrape the dog mess off the bottom of your shoe at the bottom on the down stroke. It amazing how I can feel the power come on when I focus on the technique, it like lighting the after burners......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    <pedant mode> I've personally never tried to sell anything while cycling </pedant mode>

;)

How do you know he's talking about a cycling upstroke? :wink::wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    No since I use flats on both my bikes,

did used to have SPD on the old roadie but never pulled up on them.

i do though have a fairly smooth peddling action, stomp a load of torque on a MTB where grip is marginal at best and you'll just spin.

the performance from it is less clear, haven't yet seen anything that isn't opinion dressed as fact.

3-5 mph from pulling up would be a lot, ie well over 50% increase in power it is improbable.
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    I do it quite often, when I don't feel too tired. I've got three very long hills to climb onto during my commute. And there are only two ways of riding them - either do it slowly, on one of the lightest gears, or push it as hell to maintain the momentum that will get me up there (stand up on the pedals and "push it-pull it" all the way...)...
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Apparently (can't remember where I read this but it sounded believable) the muscles you use to do this are a lot less efficient than those you employ on the down-stroke, hence why you tire quickly when pulling up.

Unweighting the upwards moving foot is probably the optimal balance of power and efficiency.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Other than when accelerating from a stop, no. But then my technique could no doubt be improved in many ways.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Argh, pedal, PEDAL!

Also - souplesse

http://redkiteprayer.com/?p=4957
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266

The shame...

Interesting responses, despite my crap spelling. I toy with it but find it really difficult to nail, not because it's particularly hard work but because I tend to forget. But I agree with most here - when I do use it consistently, I find loads more power. I guess it's about having the discipline.
    Are you talking about keeping the power even through 360 degree? If so I do this all learnt in spin classes (RPM classes to be exact). My memory maps says heals down, knees in and scrape the dog mess off the bottom of your shoe at the bottom on the down stroke. It amazing how I can feel the power come on when I focus on the technique, it like lighting the after burners......

Interesting - I'll give that a go.
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    I do it occasionally when I need the extra power or just feeling more energetic than usual.
    Normally don't think about it so end up naturally just spinning.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Only when climbing, and only then if I've got the energy to get out of the saddle.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,360
    Do it a lot, especially pulling away from lights and climbing - I know this because my SPDs have let go quite spectacularly a couple of times (tend to keep them fairly loose for commuting), which must have been entertaining for any of those behind me.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I think there is big difference between really pulling on the up stroke and keeping the power all round the 360 degrees. The former doesn't give an even pedal stroke so doesn't lend itself to spinning, the later however does. I'm no expert though, it just seems that all those exercises in spin classes did me some good....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Nice article IP

The best advice I was ever given was "Your legs are not a steam engine, they're a turbine"
    Don't think "up" and "down" stroke, think in circles, that is how you will approach souplesse.

Needless to say as soon as I'm honking up a hill that goes out of the window. Glad to hear it's not just me who loses style when the going gets tough
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Started doing it on the fixeh about a year ago (seem to recall I launched a similar thread at the time). It was very hard for a while and took concious effort as the muscles used were not, well, used to it so really felt the pain for a bit. After a while though they acclimatised and it's now fairly second nature. Not full wattage on the upstroke, but certainly a bit more than unweighting the the trailing foot, plus kicking the door and scraping the poo.

I have noticed that this also keeps me in the saddle at the sort of rpm that used to have me bouncing about like anything on fast fixie descents.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Attica wrote:
    Nice article IP

The best advice I was ever given was "Your legs are not a steam engine, they're a turbine"
    Don't think "up" and "down" stroke, think in circles, that is how you will approach souplesse.

Needless to say as soon as I'm honking up a hill that goes out of the window. Glad to hear it's not just me who loses style when the going gets tough

You need to have style before you can lose it. :P
  • attica
    Ouch!

[searches in vain for a good enough come back]
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Apparently (can't remember where I read this but it sounded believable) the muscles you use to do this are a lot less efficient than those you employ on the down-stroke, hence why you tire quickly when pulling up.

Unweighting the upwards moving foot is probably the optimal balance of power and efficiency.

Hamstrings and glutes (ar$e to the uninformed) less efficient than quads?
    Somebody better tell them as they are actually your leg engines it just feels like your quads are.
    Have you ever wondered why when after doing intense leg based exercises (running, cycling, football etc) it is your quads that are more likely fatigued than your hamstrings/glute? Probably because your quads are less efficient.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Coach H wrote:
    phy2sll2 wrote:

Somebody better tell them as they are actually your leg engines it just feels like your quads are.
    Have you ever wondered why when after doing intense leg based exercises (running, cycling, football etc) it is your quads that are more likely fatigued than your hamstrings/glute? Probably because your quads are less efficient.

Could it just be that with cycling you train your quads, and with running you train your hamstrings/glutes so if you cycle more than you run then your hamstrings/glutes get fatigued quicker than your quads, and vice versa.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Coach H wrote:
    phy2sll2 wrote:

So, I think the reason given was along the lines of: during exercise requiring significant effort from your legs (running, cycling, etc), your quads are used primarily to provide balance, while power is provided by (as you say), glutes and hamstrings. Might be rubbish, I don't know!

EDIT: Here's the source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNpvASJDpms. As you can see, I've mixed the two reasons up! On reflection, I'm not sure how convincing his explanation is!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    When pulling away if I want a bit of extra umph but apart form that not really I unweight my trailing leg more
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Attica wrote:
    Nice article IP

You just need to MTFU you big jess
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Quick starts and climbs are all about the upstroke for me, but then, my last cycling lesson was at the age of 3.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Attica wrote:
    Ouch!

[searches in vain for a good enough come back]

Ouch that sounds like a challenge to me, if only there was some kind of semi public forum you two could duke it out ..... oh wait isn't there that XXX in XXX where you'll both be together garmin's @ damn jumpers for goal posts n all that.

Oh I will have a camera the entire time (mostly to distract you all from my lantern rouge status).

Sounds like a whole new thread to me
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    Hmmm, I think we might need some sort of points system to judge style. I think I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose to the Pinarello Pilot though, never been able to climb as well as him...

...Maybe if I just wait for the batteries to run out on his shiny new Campy groupset I might have a chance.

:P
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I'm in the 'when I remember' camp. It does make you faster but I can't keep it up. One of those things you need to practice until it becomes second nature like Sketchley and SimonAH says.