Brakes (Hayes Stroker Ryde and others)

robflynn
robflynn Posts: 38
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Do anyone have hayes stroker ryde brakes?? Are they better than magura mt2, formula rx, shimano brm505 or avid elixir 3????
Thanks

Comments

• EdW
    EdW Posts: 103
    I have Stroker Ryde's, they are currently on my commuter bike. While they seem bomb proof & consistent - I've not had to touch them in over 3 years, they're not very powerful & have poor modulation.

Less powerful than some old Giant MPH3 brakes that I had, & there really is no contest compared to my Shimano XT's.

Haven't tried any of the others you mention, but my guess would be: no, no, maybe, maybe.

I would go for which ever of the latest Shimano brakes fit your budget, rosebikes.co.uk had very good prices last time I looked.
  • robflynn
    So formula rx and magura mt2 are better than HS Ryde.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    robflynn wrote:
    So formula rx and magura mt2 are better than HS Ryde.
    I have some stroker rides and find them wooden. You really have to give them a good old yank to get them to stop.
    My money would be on the current Shimano Deore which came top in recent WMB test. Top stopping power, reasonable weight and properly dinky levers for single finger braking.

EDIT: have tried formula RX on an Orbea Rallon... they were excellent. Good feel, great stopping power. Much better than the hayes.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have just gone from Deore M596 (the new ones) to Hayes Stroker Carbon. The former has a lumpy start to the lever travel as the Servo Wave does it stuff, but a crisp bit point and well modulated power.

The latter have a softer feel, not always easy to tell when has contacted, but are definitely more powerful once bedded in. More liable to drag.
  • robflynn
    Anything about the magura mt2??
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Reasonable weight, reasonable power, reasonable price - has quite a firm feel to them.
  • robflynn
    I´ve read that formula rx are very powerful but i can´t find anything about de magura mt2 .
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Used to have hayes striker rydes. They would fade bad when hot, to the point where they just did not work at all.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Rob801
    Rob801 Posts: 43
    Here's a short but positive review of the MT-8:

http://interbike.mtbr.com/magura-mt-series-brakes

And they go on to say that "The MT-8 is the Ferarri of the line but all the way to the $260/pair MT2, the technology, power and reliability is shared.".

Here's another more in depth review of the MT-8, but again, most of the same qualities are allegedly found in the MT-2 (most importantly stopping power, lack of heat etc.) just in a heavier less flexible (cabling wise) and cheaper package.

http://singletrack.competitor.com/2011/05/bikes-tech/first-ride-magura%E2%80%99s-groundbreaking-disc-brakes_16251
  • robflynn
    Thanks for the articles. They say that mt2 have similar stopping power than the mt8.It´s hard to belive considering the prices. I think im going for the mt2 (cube cc) and forget the formula rx (cube race 2011)