Your technique for approaching this climb with these gears ?

Sunderland Supporter
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Im hoping this is the right forum to ask this question. There is a particular steep section on a ride I like to use for training purposes. At a guess, id estimate the length of the section in question is about 1km and around 9 % in elevation. I could quicken up as I approach it and get out of the saddle , as its a decent climb, I know I will feel it in the front of my thighs further into the ride. I could approach it at a quick pace and high cadence and switch to my front inner cog ( I use a compact double by the way and 12-23 rear cassette ) and spin up the hill in very low gears . high cadence / high gears at 9 % for a 1km distance will raise my heartrate considerably and , just like the 1st scenario , im sure Ill feel it in the legs as the ride progresses. To well seasoned riders , I am interested in what technique you would deploy for this climb. Ive done it both ways and im not 100 % sure which suits me more as both methods left their mark. I like 12-23 at the back and Im not interested in triples, its just this one climb and the best methodology to climb it more efficiently that im interested in.
Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.

Comments

• andysol
    andysol Posts: 125
    Are you looking to max out your heart rate? Beat your time or increase you power. Whats your objective?

eg Lamesley climb
    This climb is split in 3 sections with steeper rises each followed by a little flatter section.

(not that i'm a good climber mind! and my best time does not compete with the times posted on Clarion web site)
    I tend to be out of the saddle in the steeper sections an then go seated for the less steep portions. Each position will be a high tempo 100 cadence if possible. (bottom front chain ring and low gear on the back). I run a 53/39 and 11-25rear.

But i guess if you are training for power not beating your time you should over gear by 1 or 2, slow the cadence down and feel the burn. turn round and repeat!
    Andy
    Evidently i mostly have a FCN of 1. I'm now a lady!
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Best bet is to start doing some hill repeat training. Sounds like you simply need to get stronger on hills if you don't want to feel them for the rest of your ride. Pick a hill with a steady gradient about 6 to 8% and a section that takes about 10mins to ride up. Stay seated and spin up in a low gear. First half ride easy,about 50% effort. Next 1/4 up it to about 75% effort and final 1/4 get up to about 90% effort plus. Roll back down whilst re-inserting your lungs into the chest cavity and do it again. Repeat this 3 or 4 times and you will soon get stronger on hills. Do one of these sessions a week until you can just ride any route with hills comfortably. Worked for me - currently Strava KoM on a dozen local climbs! :P

PP
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    I find the faster I approach a climb the higher cadence I can maitain up the climb and the quicker I get up my 2 local climbs I tackle 3 times a week. If the speed is not there it's difficult to suddenly inject more pace when your already on the climb. I ride 400 miles a month and don't feel it in my legs if I stay seated if I get out of the saddle it's a whole different set of muscles being worked and it's easy to run out of steam very quickly and feel it for the rest of my ride. I've tried standing and hill reps and found staying seated suits me much better. Instead of climning at 6mph and now manage 9mph on the them.

I started riding with a local club on Saturday mornings we ride a 28 mile flat route and it amazes me to see some of my buddies getting out of the saddle for what I would describe as small bunps on the route.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Go flat out ;).

Or at least, flat out enough so that I'm empty at the top.
  • Would there be a marked difference in how a TDF yellow jersey and polka jersey winner would approach this ?
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Out of the seat will generate more power, but less efficiently. How you attack it depends on your goals. Want to be the first to the top? Get out of the saddle, but be aware that you'll have less left in the tank for the rest of the ride. Want to win the final sprint? Sit and spin, and save the big guns for later.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra