shimano wheels - seals gone??

le_boss
le_boss Posts: 183
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I have had countless issues with my shimano rs 10 rear wheel this winter. i had the bearings replaced in november. by december they were shot again. so i serviced it myself and had my lbs check the tightness and it was all good. but just 2 months later the bearings are grinding again and the wheel sounds very unhealthy.

as this seems to keep happening im wondering if its the seals which have gone and are therefore letting all the crap from the winter roads in. does this sound likely? can you get replacement seals?

thanks for any help.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well the exploded diagram on Shimano Techdocs suggests all the bits are available as spares. Contact Madison??
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,164
    fwiw i've had two different 'basic' shimano rear wheels dry out very fast on the drive side

from new it was probably less than 6 months, in both cases, that they were dry, so imho it shouldn't be due to faulty seals

maybe i'm unlucky, maybe the seals aren't so good, or maybe i'm expecting too much, whatever, for daily winter riding it doesn't surprise me that you are finding this
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My RS10's are coming out of their third winter. I don't commute, so they haven't been exposed to daily bad weather, but neither do I stay in if it's wet and cold. They have had quite a bit of dirty, salty water thrown at them.

I did take the hubs to bits after 18 months out of curiosity, only to find them showroom fresh and still well greased. I bunged a bit more in for good measure and put them back together, and they've remained smooth ever since.
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    It seems RS10 wheels are a bit hit and miss when it comes to the bearings. My friend's pair stayed in really good condition for years, whereas I've had to change the bearings twice on mine, and am about to do so again because they're gone a bit crunchy :(