Cycling in West Cyprus

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited March 2012 in Tour & expedition
There's a chance that my work will take me to the Paphos area in a couple of weeks :D and I'm hoping to bring my bike with me. Does anyone have any advice about routes I might take/areas I might explore in that region? Am I right to hope for about 20 degrees C?

Comments

• Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    Fair few years ago now but I worked there mid March to mid April. Had a Suzuki Jeep and each weekend drove an hour in to the mountains to go skiing in the morning then back to the beach where it was low 20's and very pleasent.
  • topcattim
    Thanks Solis, sounds like the weather will be good. I have now found out that I shall be staying in Episkopi, near Limassol. Would be grateful if anyone can recommend any good cycling in that area?
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Hi TC,

Sounds like a jolly to me, or a warm weather training camp. Never cycled there, but I have driven around a fair bit of Cyprus, and I'm very jealous not to be there with a bike. Some beautiful beaches and great coastal roads. But, the roads are a bit rough in places so I'd go for some serious tyres if you plan to go off the main roads. The "interior" is quite hilly to say the least, most of the big hills seemed to have a monastery at the top, which may come in handy. There also seemed to be a lot of military radar or listening posts in the mountains too. I've been there in August and early September, and it was hot on both occasions. The next few months should be ideal I'd imagine. Like most of the Mediterranean countries, they don't drive on the right or left, but in the shade, so approach blind corners with caution. I'm sure you can imagine a very young Termite junior alternating between "faster Daddy" and "watch out Daddy".
  • topcattim
    Sounds like a jolly to me too, term1te, but my boss is coming with me and apparently expects me to do some work as well. I reckon though that there will be time for the odd excursion - the working day starts at 0730 and then finishes at about 1330/1400 so an afternoon in the hills is beckoning.
    Hope all the junior Term1tes are enjoying themselves...