Le Phoneage questionage.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
OK.

Current contract running out on my HTC Desire.

Got it 22 months ago for £32 a month for 500minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb of internetage.

Now.

I've figured, for what I use my phone for, an I phone would probably be better suited (though I already have a big 160gb classic I pod).

I just got an e-mail from carphone warehouse saying I can get £70 if I hand my HTC Desire in at the end.

So, here's the plan.

I hand it in for £70, and buy a newish 2nd hand I phone 4 for £250-300, and get a separate contracty thing on one of those cheapo things on the O2 network.

Am I missing something? Or is this a good idea?

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Or you may be able to swapsie the HTC for an ipone?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    SimonAH wrote:
    Or you may be able to swapsie the HTC for an ipone?

Would that a) be possible and b) be cheaper?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Suggest you first speak to the retention team of your current provider to see what deal they can offer. The only difficulty is:

i) the person you speak to initially will keep you on the line for an hour trying to convince you to upgrade
    ii) if you get past (i), you will then get bounced around various departments, each one offering you a 'special' deal
    iii) if you get past (ii), you will then get put on hold, or even 'accidentally' cut-off
    iv) if you manage to fianlly get to the cancellation/retention team, be clear in your head what you want and what you can get elsewhere, and they may offer you something worth staying on for
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Depends on your usage. In some cases it's cheaper over length of contract to buy a phone and go for minimum monthly contract for you call, txt and data usage. What you should do is add cost of phone to the monthly amount times the length of contract, and then compare.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    You can get as much as £75 using this http://www.recyclemobilephonescomparison.com/recycle-htc-desire.html then buy another phone and try this http://giffgaff.com/ buy a £10 goody bag each month and get 250 minutes, unlimited texts and internet and it uses the o2 network.

and if you sign up to Quidco http://www.quidco.com/before you do you can get £5 cashback for just activating the giff gaff SIM card.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    check out these people:

http://www.billmonitor.com/

they analyse your old bills and recommend you a contract.

Not sure if they can recommend a which tablet though
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    If you do want to switch to giffgaff, click here to order a SIM card and get an extra £5 credit on activation. Also gives me a few points, so shameless self-promotion achieved again...
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Slightly OT but I'm on a O2 tarrif that has 500 meg download allowance. When I checked my account a couple of days ago it said I had used 10 meg of 5 gig ???
    Definitely worth saying you are going to leave the contract and seeing what they come up with.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Sketchley wrote:
    Depends on your usage. In some cases it's cheaper over length of contract to buy a phone and go for minimum monthly contract for you call, txt and data usage. What you should do is add cost of phone to the monthly amount times the length of contract, and then compare.

My iPhone contract is coming to an end and I'm not interested in another phone at the moment. Checked SIM only deals and even the guy in the shop admitted they were pretty crap and tended to have tie-ins. We concluded I'd be as well to keep my current contract which is insane!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sketchley wrote:

My iPhone contract is coming to an end and I'm not interested in another phone at the moment. Checked SIM only deals and even the guy in the shop admitted they were pretty crap and tended to have tie-ins. We concluded I'd be as well to keep my current contract which is insane!
    Really?
    GiffGaff seem good value. I moved from Orange to T Mobile (I know, same company, but the retention deal was lousy so I ported my number from one side of their office to the other to get a new customer deal) and paying 8 quid a month (12 month contract) for 250 minutes, unlimited texts and 750mb data. Then £50 cashback so ends up around £4. I'd be very surprised if the best deal was to stay on your current contract once it's up.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo