One-off Bionicon Reed

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiictuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuures?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Foiled!

My 17mm Cone spanner seems to have left home. Got the 13mm, 14mm, 15mm and 18mm, but no 17mm. This means I'm unable to change the hub from 135x12 to 142x12.

Put it all together and out of the box weight with tyres, tubes & pedals was 30.5lb.

Will be interested to see how much I can save off that with the changes I've got planned.

For those who were waiting to find out, the Superstar wheels weigh 1642g with Superstar rimtape. Need to fit the stans yellow tape and the tyres.

Hopefully my Reverb will arrive tomorrow.

Pictures will be done in better light tomorrow :D
  • Go on then, I can't resist. Even though it's not finished, and the light is shlt, here is a little taster.....

post-op014.jpg

post-op013.jpg
  • Niice, love the blue!

Not sure about the red bits yet, but I'll wait till its done!

What makes it one off btw? Sure its been said somewhere but must of missed it.
  • Ok, so I'm still waiting for my Reverb from CRC, and a 17mm conse spanner so I can change the drive side hub fittings but other than that, it's finished.

If I'm honest, I'm not entirely happy with the red bits. They don't look as good as I hoped they would. In fact, I think they clash horribly.
    HOWEVER, considering the pedals will be covered with my feet, and the rest of the red bits are reasonably subtle, I can get away with it.

One possible option is to send the pedals back and swap them for some black ones instead.

Weight is 27.8lbs (12.62kg) which I'm very happy with.

The trizoid hubs are amazing. very positive engagement, and although I'm not a fan of hub noise, they sound great. More of a buzz than a click. Very solid build too (I got the Trizoid DH rear so I can just swap the adapters to the Syntace fittings without messing about swapping bearings etc).

An interesting feature on the Reed over the Edison is that when you push the button to put it in "uphill" mode, it locks out the rear through overextension.

Reed006.jpg

Reed001.jpg

Reed002.jpg

Reed004.jpg

Reed005.jpg

Reed003.jpg
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    That looks cool as flap! Pedals do look a little too red though. I'm sure they'll soon scabble up! Black probably would look better. Exotic cycles do them in black, bit cheaper than superstar too iirc.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Gawd thats lovely!
  • Right, Reverb was fitted last night. Decided to keep the pedals in the end.
    Finished pics...

GOING UP
    Reed015.jpg

GOING DOWN

Reed014.jpg

GOING ALONG
    Reed016.jpg

MISC

Reed020.jpg

Reed021.jpg

Reed022.jpg

Reed017.jpg

Reed019.jpg

Reed018.jpg
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Looking good, i'd love to have a play on one.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Good work cat! Quite a fan of the red if I'm honest...
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Really nice that! Great weight too! Was expecting it to be much heavier!
  • The forks and wheels are very light, as are the pedals, and there is no stem to speak of (just those 2 little "rings"). That all adds up.

That fact it has ISGC tabs is really making me want to try hammerschmidtt. It's just SOOOOOOOO expensive!

If they ever release a carbon version I'll be first on the list to buy.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    The forks and wheels are very light, as are the pedals, and there is no stem to speak of (just those 2 little "rings"). That all adds up.

That fact it has ISGC tabs is really making me want to try hammerschmidtt. It's just SOOOOOOOO expensive!

If they ever release a carbon version I'll be first on the list to buy.
    make a derogatory offer :D
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Truvativ-Hamm ... 3f157c9af9
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    That looks well tasty!!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    That's really smart, like it...
  • The ONLY good thing to come from having 5 months off the bike due to injury?

Returning to find a shitload of new trails have been built while you were off and they're all nice and dry.

WINNOR!

ride002.jpg

ride004.jpg

ride003.jpg

ride001.jpg
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    After a run-in with some big rocks, I was in the market for some new chainrings. I wanted to use the opportunity to go 2x10 too.

Looked into swapping the X9 chainset for something Shimano because tbh I prefer thair chainsets, but I really need the bash. Shimanos 2x10 either don't come with a bash, or have some horrible, trouser-guard looking pos (silly gap in their range imho).

Solution? Blackspire 26-38 chainrings and a hope 40t light bashring.

Not normally a fan of Hope stuff, but their machining is good, and as that's really all a bash is, it's pretty hard to fcuk up. As it happens, it looks pretty good, it's really light and the prive wasn't at all bad (cheaper than the raceface equivalent).

newchainrings002.jpg

newchainrings003.jpg

newchainrings005.jpg

Blinging it up a bit with the new jockey wheels too:

newchainrings004.jpg

newchainrings007.jpg

Glorious!

newchainrings008.jpg

newchainrings009.jpg
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Looks good cat!

I'm impressed how well the blue of the bash matches the blue area round the cranks, good work!
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Top looking bike! Have to agree with the comments about hope. I used to think they were the dogs, but they have fallen behind in most areas these days, although when/if they release the intergrated cassette for the pro2 I might change my mind!
  • HarryK
    HarryK Posts: 84
    Good looking bike! How are you finding the bionicon c guide?
  • cat_with_no_tail
    I like the c-guide, simple but effective. Had to turn the resin insert round once so far, so by my reckoning they should last about 2,000miles before needing to be replaced, which isn't bad considering they cost less than a set of replacement grip cartridges (which wont last as long).

One niggle I do have is with the pedals. From new they've had an irritating click on the right hand side. Quick squirt of lube and it's fine, but if you forget to lube the pedal before a ride it would actually drive you mental. Keep meaning to take it apart and check the bearings.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Nice little test ride today. One thing that surprised me (kinda) is how much more at home I feel with a 2x10 opposed to 3x10. I guess it's because my last few bikes were all set up as 2x9 so I'm more used to that gearing.

All set for Inners in July now. :D
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Looks awesome - and you must be well chuffed to be back out on a bike :D

Re: the pedals, I have heard of people drilling & tapping a small grease hole a la DMR V8, with a grub screw to close the hole. Will see if I can find you some pics of where to do it......
  • pastey_boy
    youve only gone and made me want to buy a hope bashguard just after buying a perfectly nice one .
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Pleased I could be of some assistance :D

Pastey, Andy, you guys not going to be joining us for the weekender up at Glentress/Inners in July? It's a free weekend. PM me if you're interested.
  • pastey_boy
    hmmmm the word "free" has my interest.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Definitely up for some of that! Will PM you in a moment sir :-)
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Such a nice bike! Looks like a very well thought out and detailled build! Nice trails too :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    andyrm wrote:
    Looks awesome - and you must be well chuffed to be back out on a bike :D

Re: the pedals, I have heard of people drilling & tapping a small grease hole a la DMR V8, with a grub screw to close the hole. Will see if I can find you some pics of where to do it......

I drill a small hole in the plastic end cap, pump a load of grease in then put a dob of glue in the hole. Saves drilling and tapping the pedal body and potentially getting swarf in the bearings.

Bikes looking very tasty, the pedals don't look as in your face as the early photos.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3