MTB DVD (Seasons)

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Was looking at Seasons and wondering if it is worth buying or not?
If not then is there anything decent that you lot would recommend?

I don't want crazy 50ft drop offs/peiople nearly killing themselves for the whole video.
Something XC or following riders for a MTB race season (hence seasons)

Any suggestions please throw them my way

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126
    3 Minute Gap follows the 2010 downhill World Cup and is pretty good, but might not be your thing if you're after XC. Life Cycles and From The Inside Out probably probably won't be what you're after either, but worth a watch because they're awesome.
  • dirty face
    dirty face Posts: 139
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    Hi

Was looking at Seasons and wondering if it is worth buying or not?
    If not then is there anything decent that you lot would recommend?

I don't want crazy 50ft drop offs/peiople nearly killing themselves for the whole video.
    Something XC or following riders for a MTB race season (hence seasons)

Any suggestions please throw them my way

Thanks

The Atherton Project follows the family through a couple of seasons, but is DH/4X so not sure if its your thing. Still very good to watch tho, not sure if its available to buy but you can watch it on Red Bull TV.

Seasons is a great DVD as it profiles the riders a little more than other DVD's, but again is more DH / DJ / Big Trails than XC. Once again tho, very good to watch
    If you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough!
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Check out the Trek World Racing vids on YouTube as that follows the XC & DH riders.
    As above though, 3 minute gaps, life cycles and From the inside out are worth watching, even if it's just for how they've been produced.
  • Seasons is possibly my favouritest MTB file of teh EvArs.

"Super Stoked"
    "Feeding off eachother"
    "Supergnar"
    "Rad"

It's got it all.

Seriouisly though it is my favourite MTB film.

Also seriously though, as stated above, there's no XC in it

If you're stuck for somethign to watch though and like XC, the Isle of Man E2E will be shown on sky at the weekend.

The event film will be shown on Sky Sports on the following dates/times:

11 Mar 12 08:00 Sky Sports HD 4
    11 Mar 12 12:30 Sky Sports HD 3
    12 Mar 12 01:30 Sky Sports HD 2
    12 Mar 12 08:00 Sky Sports HD 2
    12 Mar 12 15:00 Sky Sports HD 3

Although Sky being awesome as they are, they have confused the Isle of Man with the Isle of White :roll:
  • GAZAMAN77
    GAZAMAN77 Posts: 44
    My favourite is probably 'Follow me'.
    I personally preferred it over 'Seasons', maybe because it was the first mtb DVD i had ever seen.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... d-10-39370
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Seasons is definitely tied with 3 Minute Gaps as my two all time favorite MTB films. The Tipping Point is also worth a watch, just like 3 Minute Gaps but follows an earlier season. Follow Me was a big disappointment for me (still enjoyed it though) with all the Hype behind it especially when I watched it just after Seasons (I believe they did this at a showing of it as well) and don't even get me started on Life Cycles, think an art movie that has some bike riding in it, great way of getting across why we ride but not actually showing much riding :roll: The Earthed series just seem a bit half assed to me, good sections but they just don't really work as movies IMO. New World Disorder is great but definitely not for you if you don't want to be watching big hucks.

TBH, none of these would suit you if you are wanting an XC type movie, it just isn't as exciting as a DH/FR movie so I would think it's hard to justify doing one concentrating on just XC, never ever seen a movie that concentrates on XC or even has much in it.
  • dirty face
    dirty face Posts: 139
    peter413 wrote:
    Seasons is definitely tied with 3 Minute Gaps as my two all time favorite MTB films.

I have yet to see 3 Minute gaps, gonna buy it next week, can't wait!
    If you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough!
  • dirty face wrote:
    peter413 wrote:
    Seasons is definitely tied with 3 Minute Gaps as my two all time favorite MTB films.

+1
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000

If you're stuck for somethign to watch though and like XC, the Isle of Man E2E will be shown on sky at the weekend.

Although Sky being awesome as they are, they have confused the Isle of Man with the Isle of White :roll:

is this all the same program just repeated times?
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I can't think of anything offhand that follows an XC team through a season. You might get on well with Roam, it's got some dh in it but lots of just everyday riding. Lovely. Seasons is a bit freeridey, a bit downhilly, but still most of it is what I'd call normal-but-brilliant... ie, it's stuff that you or I might think, if I really practiced and got good I could probably do that, not as fast or as well but I wouldn't die. Seasons also has to its credit that it's very, very good.

But mainly I think you should get Vast. Costs peanuts from the Itunes store and is totally, totally lovely.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • camerauk wrote:

is this all the same program just repeated times?

Yup. Gotta love Sky.
  • RyanMK43
    RyanMK43 Posts: 113
    Seasons for me is the best MTB DVD I have seen. It just makes you want to get out and ride. But then again I liked Home (somebody recommended it in my thread) as it’s about UK trails, locations, and riders.
    Northwind wrote:
    I really like Vast... Bit more laidback than Seasons etc, but some stunning sections in it.

Home is another one worth looking at- quite different from the Collective, it's got some really good riding in it but it's more mellow and about the british riding scene rather than pure adrenaline stuff. The follow-up Find is pretty dire though.

Follow Me and From The Inside would be more Collectivey.

Here’s the trailer for it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmaGuJa8uxc
  • Roam is pretty good. There's some DJ halfway through that didn't appeal to me but otherwise lots of great riding in great locations. I would love to go to the BC interior.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Save your money unless you like watching sub-Freecaster DH footage interspersed with b/w power-zoom personality interviews
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Seasons is possibly my favouritest MTB file of teh EvArs.
    It's got it all.

Seriouisly though it is my favourite MTB film.

Also seriously though, as stated above, there's no XC in it

Ahhh yes the End2End. I have watched that the past 2 years as i raced in them. Didn't go in 2011 but will definitely have a watch.
    I think i'll try Seasons as i am not specifically after an XC video but would rather that than a load of freeriding where people are doing crazy jumps and stuff that i would not ream of doing.
    A bit of DH stuff is ok with me especially if its following top pros in a season etc.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Roam is pretty good. There's some DJ halfway through that didn't appeal to me but otherwise lots of great riding in great locations. I would love to go to the BC interior.
    +1 for Roam... though Seasons is a close second for me
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building