Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

front disk

hainmanhainman Posts: 699
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
im looking to re-new my front disk on my rockrider 9.1
i cant seem to see what make the disk is i have right now apart from its a 160mm 6bolt one.what would i be able to use as a new one and if i want to go upto 180mm what adapter would i need..
thanks for any info
craig
Giant Reign 2
Crohnie

Posts

  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    make does not matter.

    an adaptor to take whatever mounts your fork has to whatever mounts your brake has. so the with be either Post mount or IS mount or both.

    see the FAQs in tech to help ID what you have or post pictures of what you have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sniper68sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    You firstly need to define whether your fork and brake are Post or IS mount.If it's the RS Recon(as per Decathlon spec)it looks like it's post mount(as do the brakes).If it's post mount you need a post-post 180mm adaptor,if it's IS you need a post-IS 180mm adaptor etc.
    Any 180mm rotor should be OK.
  • chez_m356chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    hainman wrote:
    im looking to re-new my front disk on my rockrider 9.1
    i cant seem to see what make the disk is i have right now apart from its a 160mm 6bolt one.what would i be able to use as a new one and if i want to go upto 180mm what adapter would i need..
    thanks for any info
    craig
    have a look here http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=359
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • hainmanhainman Posts: 699
    sorry guys.
    i have the 2010 model with tora air forks i.s mounts so im looking for i.s mount to post mount or vice versa.....as to disk thanks for advice about make..ie i can use any as long as their 6bolt....
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • chez_m356chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    hainman wrote:
    sorry guys.
    i have the 2010 model with tora air forks i.s mounts so im looking for i.s mount to post mount or vice versa.....as to disk thanks for advice about make..ie i can use any as long as their 6bolt....
    same link as above, type 3 for a 180 i.s. mount
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • hainmanhainman Posts: 699
    chez cheers mate,just what im after.
    1 question do you think going 180 is overkill??
    i do varied riding,xc,trail centres...
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope 180 will be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • chez_m356chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    hainman wrote:
    chez cheers mate,just what im after.
    1 question do you think going 180 is overkill??
    i do varied riding,xc,trail centres...
    overkill, whats overkill, i have a 203 on the front of my hardrock and my Nerve :lol: if you look at the specs of the majority of FS bikes now, 180 does seem to be the standard
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • hainmanhainman Posts: 699
    nice one cheers guys.just meant as the size of rotor for what im riding....
    wasnt sure if it would affect my forks as such,they are only the old 9mm qr so have heard ppl talking about fork flex...
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • chez_m356chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    hainman wrote:
    nice one cheers guys.just meant as the size of rotor for what im riding....
    wasnt sure if it would affect my forks as such,they are only the old 9mm qr so have heard ppl talking about fork flex...
    they'll be fine, if you still have the user manual for the forks, it will have a max rotor size on it somewhere, from a quick look online it appears to be 210mm, could always check on the sram site to make sure
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
Sign In or Register to comment.