Hybrid Conundrum

mackempete
mackempete Posts: 4
edited March 2012 in Commuting general
I’ve recently ordered a Cannondale Bad Boy Fatty R6:

But my cycle to work voucher has come through and it’s a 5 week delivery :(

I’m tempted to get a Scott Sub 20 either the 2011 model or 2012. The 2012 is in stock but I would have to pay an Extra £130 for it, the 2011 is a bit cheaper than the Bad Boy and only a 2 week wait…

What to do!

Is the 2012 Scott worth the extra £130 over the cannondale or am I just paying for a brand and being impatient? Should I just get the 2011 scott, but then again is this a worse bike than the Bad Boy.

Really need some expert help?

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    If the 'Dale was your 1st choice, what has changed?

5 weeks wait, won't the weather be warmer where you are by then/daylight/winter over etc?

If the wait has made you think you were wrong then maybe you weren't ready to make the final decision - now go back to your room and do your homework properly this time or no tea! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • The wait made me look at alternatives. I've got a family weekend away planned and i would like to have the new bike for that.
    The 2012 Scott was suggested to me by someone who didnt know my budget was £700, when i informed them of this they came across the 2011 model in the sale which is slightly under £700 and as far as i can see of similar spec. Hence my questions around the 3 models, consider this part of my Homework :)
  • team47b
    I have just been doing your homework :D

Now I understand your dilemma.

IMO there is not a lot between all three, the Dale has more Allvio parts than the Scott, Deore is considered marginally better, not much difference though.

The Scott 2011 is sooo similar to the 2012 it really would only be about the money.

Go to have a look, if you can. In the end you will probably say "the paint/colour/graphics is nicer on this one" or "Dale's name has more/less kudos amongst my friends/forum buddies" ie a heart decision.

Homework "job done".

Post your decision I would be interested to know it.
  • team47b
    ...went out, came back, made bread, put it in the oven, then thought...

As an aside, the Shwalbe's on the Dale are going to be a bit faster on tarmac and the Continental's good on gravel as well as tarmac, but more resistance. I have the Continental's, same size, on my Ridgeback hybrids, nearly two years no real wear, no p*nctures, even been touring towing trailers on them, just bought some more to keep for when these wear out.

...got to check the bread...